Author Topic: Bellew Family in 1841 Census  (Read 770 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Bellew Family in 1841 Census
« on: Saturday 23 June 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
Afternoon

I’m trying to find my Bellew family in the 1841 census. The key problem is how the surname is spelt i.e. Bellow, Bailey, Bely

After cross referencing their marriage certificates, I believe this is their mothers entry in the 1851 census:

15 Marman Street, Tower Hamlets, St George in the East
Ann    Bailey    Head    W 63    1788    Charwoman    Ireland    
James    Bailey    Son    W 29    1822    Labourer    Cripplegate, Middlesex, England    
George    Bailey    Son    U 20    1831    Porter    Stepney, Middlesex, England

To add further confusion the family was Roman Catholic and I have been struggling to find baptism records for them to establish a DOB. Below is a list of the children who were not married by 1841 and would likely to still be living with their parents.

Jane – 1816 at St Giles. Baptised at St Patrick, Soho Square
James – 1821 at Cripplegate. Baptised at St Mary Moorfields
Sarah – c.1825 – Listed as full age when married in 1845.
Catherine – 1826 at Spitafields? Baptised at St Mary Moorfields
George – 1830 at Stepney. Baptised at St Mary Moorfields

All the marriages between 1844 and 1851, except Jane, were in the Tower Hamlets area, specifically Whitechapel, Stepney, and Bethnal Green. In addition their marriage certificates imply their father, Patrick Bellew, is alive. At present I have not been able to confirm if this is true.

A fresh pair of eyes would be welcomed in case I have skipped over them during my searches.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Bellew Family in 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
George Bellew married Elizabeth Cobb 6/2/1855 St Margarets Edgware address 23 Nelson Street New Road Stepney father Patrick - Clerk

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Re: Bellew Family in 1841 Census
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 June 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Yes that is George's marriage certificate. I have seen marriage certificates for all five children listed in the OP and it is only with recently released RC parish records that I have confirmed they are all from the same family.

With regard to the search to find them in the 1841 census they could all be living separately, although I would have assumed at least one of the children, George, would still be at home. The other possibility is they were never recorded/folio is missing.