Author Topic: UK Ancestry Subscriber but want to purchase a DNA kit for Family in Australia  (Read 2543 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi,  I have had a quick look at the DNA thread, but can't see a similar question.  Apologies if this has already been covered.

I have purchased 4 kits for use with family in the UK.  We have a 98 year old family member in Western Australia and they are keen to do a DNA test.  Great!! or so I thought.  It appears that I can't purchase one and have it shipped to them in WA.  The nice person at Ancestry explained that I would have to wire the money and they would need to purchase the kit from Australia.  Why???  They are not Ancestry members and at 98, I'm not going to ask them to sign up either.  Goodness only knows what would happen and what they might get tied into.

What a palaver, yet Ancestry have an Australian site and I have a Worldwide subscription.

Anyone had this situation and been able to get round it?  I wouldn't be surprised if the only way was to mail them the kit (lord only knows how much that would be) and for them to mail it back to me (again at their cost) and for me then to send it onto Dublin.  >:(

Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UK Ancestry Subscriber but want to purchase a DNA kit for Family in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
Couldn't you sign into the Australian site, buy the kit and give the gent's address for it to be sent to?

Added: a quick google found this:

DNA tests can be purchased for oneself or as a gift. DNA tests cannot be sent to someone who lives in a different country. When a test is purchased as a gift, the buyer can opt to have the test sent either to him- or herself or directly to the test taker.

That sounds like you can't send a kit purchased in the UK to another country, but you can just have the test sent directly to your WA relative ....

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: UK Ancestry Subscriber but want to purchase a DNA kit for Family in Australia
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie, I did exactly that and it kept directing me to the UK site  :-X

Edit:  Maybe I should just persist?
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 June 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Do you need to log out of your UK Ancestry account before trying to go to the Australian site?  :-\

I've just had a quick look (but I am in Australia). Is it the $129 kit you want to buy for him? Where do the completed test kits have to be sent? (I know that FTDNA kits go to the USA)

Have you contacted Ancestry UK for help?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 June 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
If you click on this link does it still send you to the UK site:

https://www.ancestry.com.au/dna/

Added: It looks like you need to set up an account for him but give your email address so you can access his results?

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 June 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
the link took me to the Australian DNA page and when I looked at the options for payment, it has to be purchased with a card registered in either Australia or New Zealand.  That is also what the guy at Ancestry call centre said  :'(

Kit

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 June 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
They're not making it easy for you are they?

It doesn't make sense. I can use my Australian credit or debit card to make purchases on UK or American retail websites - I don't understand why you can't do the same with Ancestry.

Does your elderly relative have someone who can buy the kit for him using their own card and you could then transfer the funds to them? :-\

Have you considered trying another DNA testing company who may be more flexible?

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 June 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
No, they are not making it easy!  The guy at the call centre said as much and that he would put feedback onto the system.

We have only been in contact with this family member for a little while and was so pleased that they agreed to take the test.  I know that they have a daughter, but I'm not sure where she is resident.  I have sent an email off to ask that very question.  It isn't about spending more money than necessary, and am prepared to spend over and above if needs be, but I want to make it as simple as possible for them.

We have friends on the Gold Coast and a cousin of mine (it's my husband's side we're asking for DNA) in Brisbane that I could ask if needs be.

thanks for your interest and helpful suggestions.  In this day and age, Ancestry just has to catch up with it's clients needs!

Kit

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 June 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
I understand that you want to make it easy for your elderly relative. It is terrific that he agreed to take the test - at 98 he is the best person to take it isn't he.  :)

I hope you manage to sort it out.  :) Let us know how you get on.