Author Topic: UK Ancestry Subscriber but want to purchase a DNA kit for Family in Australia  (Read 2531 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: UK Ancestry Subscriber but want to purchase a DNA kit for Family in Australia
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 June 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
I think I'm resigned to the situation where I post one of my 4 newly purchased kits (registered to my Ancestry account, not really sure if that matters???), and send my relative money to send it back to me so I can use the pre-paid 'envelope' although it's a box).

We haven't yet used a kit, so have no idea on registering a kit once it has been used.

What I wasn't sure about was, should my cousin in Australia, who is an Ancestry subscriber, purchase a kit for this relative of my husband in WA, whether somehow that would try and show links to my cousin (rather than my husband), or am I overthinking things???

All new territory.  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: UK Ancestry Subscriber but want to purchase a DNA kit for Family in Australia
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 June 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Keep the weight down by removing lots of unnecessary packaging, unless you can find a good samaritan on here to act as go-between.

Martin

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 June 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Martin.  We had our Gold Coast friends visit in March.  I wish I'd progressed this at that time!  I'm just aware of our relatives fragile state aged 98 and his willingness to participate.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 June 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
Couldn't your cousin in Australia purchase it as a gift for the 98 year old - at least that would keep it all in the same country? They could then have it sent straight to him. It couldn't show links to your cousin then as it wouldn't be in their name would it?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 June 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
You also have to have separate email accounts for each test
I had problems when wanting to do one for 98 year old aunt whof was happy to do test but  not the management of results
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 June 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom, thanks for your contribution. I will certainly consider that option but really don't yet know anything about how the results of the tests are set against an individual and how I can 'control' 'keep tabs on' 'access' 'ownership/management' (of the results only, obviously, the DNA isn't mine).

Thanks brigidmac, I'm becoming more of the mind that I will send a test that I have purchased and is recorded to me via Ancestry.  I'm more than happy to take the extra cost on board, but want to make things easier for the family members in WA.

Kit

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 June 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
I have two matches managed by their daughters, when I first sent a message to the matches the daughters answered, just asked one of them and she said her dad doesn't even have an email address that you can put as many tests as you like on one email.

They don't try to match one particular test/person to another, they just compare with all they have and give you the results.

It shouldn't cost too much to send to Australia, it's very light.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 June 18 03:47 BST (UK) »
Kit,

With the FTDNA tests, each test is assigned a number and relates to an individual.
(I have no idea about Ancestry)

I think Groom's idea is probably best. Ask one of your Australian relatives to send him a kit.

The issue is, he might find the instructions confusing so it would be best if someone could help him take the test, and it also means a trek to the post office to send it off, which he may not be able to do. Maybe try to chase up his daughter to see if she can help?

Added: i have three (different people's) FTDNA kits registered to my email address.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie and Sinann, feeling a lot more positive now.  Just waiting to hear back from the family about their daughter.  Might help to clarify things.  Kit