Author Topic: UK Ancestry Subscriber but want to purchase a DNA kit for Family in Australia  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Mr.Brown.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: UK Ancestry Subscriber but want to purchase a DNA kit for Family in Australia
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 August 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find a way of doing this officially so sent the kit to my cousin in Australia to test and then return the smaller box back to me so I can send it off from here.
Not sure if the customs will allow it through depending upon how the contents are described.
Haven't heard back from her for 4 months but she usually only contacts at Christmas. So hopefully she will leave doing the test until then otherwise the sample may be unstable - unless she stores it in the fridge.
Fingers crossed...only one on her branch.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: UK Ancestry Subscriber but want to purchase a DNA kit for Family in Australia
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 August 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Update. Well daughter lives in Italy, so not much help. I stripped back the pack and just sent what was necessary in a padded bag. The description for customs was  'toy' when the lady at the post office asked for a description, I just said it was a very light plastic item! She put toy on the form.  Anyway, documents that I sent separately at the same time arrived in a week.

Eventually, my DNA hope in Aus decided to send away for their own kits. Love and behold, 4 weeks after posting they have arrived. She commented that it took the same amount of time for them to travel from the UK to Aus in the 50s 🙄

So, my kit is making a return journey!

Mr Brown, I feel your pain and hope your kit gets there and back.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 August 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
I have two matches managed by their daughters, when I first sent a message to the matches the daughters answered, just asked one of them and she said her dad doesn't even have an email address that you can put as many tests as you like on one email.

They don't try to match one particular test/person to another, they just compare with all they have and give you the results.

I don't think you can have more than one name per email address currently at Ancestry, you could in the past.

When I activated my husband's account I was asked for a different email address. I used my Gmail as opposed to hotmail address.

I manage his DNA, he is not the slightest bit interested. But as I manage it, all contact messages come to my hotmail address, all messages I send are from my normal address.  I do get 'junk' emails from Ancestry to my Gmail address re new additions to my family tree, special subscription offers etc, otherwise things are managed from me by my normal address.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 August 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
Kit, I'm glad you have managed to find a solution of sorts.

If Ancestry don't allow more than one one per email address that is something they should probably look at changing. Ancestry should be aware that there is often only one family member who takes care of these things and who has other relatives tested in order to compare results, and if they put hurdles in people's way they will test with another company.

And, as already mentioned, not everyone has an email address. :-\

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 August 18 06:59 BST (UK) »
Kit, I'm glad you have managed to find a solution of sorts.

If Ancestry don't allow more than one one per email address that is something they should probably look at changing. Ancestry should be aware that there is often only one family member who takes care of these things and who has other relatives tested in order to compare results, and if they put hurdles in people's way they will test with another company.

And, as already mentioned, not everyone has an email address. :-\

Ruskie, They have no intention, as far as I can see, of changing it back. There was uproar when the change came in, apparently, but people quickly got round it, by creating new email addresses for themselves. I did it using one I already had.

Here is what DNAGeek said at the time it was introduced, full instructions to manage someone elses account.

http://thednageek.com/upcoming-changes-to-kit-registration-at-ancestrydna-keep-calm-and-carry-on/

Here is what Ancestry says -

"Each adult who takes the test must activate it on their own Ancestry account. With the exception of tests for minor children, only one DNA test may be activated on one account. To invite another adult to activate their test, see our article about helping another adult activate a test.
To create an Ancestry account, you'll need an email address. If you don’t have an email address, or if your email address is already associated with an Ancestry account, you’ll need to create a new email address"

So my husband has his own account and email address, I invite him to view my tree. 'He' gives me full access to his DNA results, and nominates me as manager.

It works exactly as if I were managing it from my own account, but he has to have a separate account as well, presumably in case at some stage he wants control of it, which he would otherwise not be able to have.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go