Author Topic: baptism for Mary Strachan  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: baptism for Mary Strachan
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 June 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, there must be a family link here somewhere, this could be Mary Strachan's family, perhaps the family moved from Thurso and Mary is born elsewhere. There is a definite link to merchants and shop owners so I think they moved around a fair bit.

No other baptisim for Strachan children to John and Anne in Scotland possibly the record hasn't survived or wasn't recorded at the time

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 June 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Not much to add but if Benjamin has a stone you could see if Mary is named and her birth-death year is on it. This would certainly help identify who she belongs to.  Thurso is the only cemetery that hasn't been completely photographed and I see only one Carnaby which is in Wick. 

I would suggest you email archives@highlifehighland.com and ask if they hold the burial records of Thurso and tell them who you are looking for with the year and estimated year of death.  If there is a stone, perhaps someone locally who is on this list could take a photo for you.

Btw…Marianne died in 1836 it was published in the 02 May 1836 Edition of John 'o Groat as the daughter of Mrs. Benjamin Carnaby.  Therefore Mary must have died between 1836-1841 as I didn’t see her in the 1841 Census. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 June 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
Maybe Mary Strachan was actually also Mary Ann? From 1841:

Maryann Camaby 45 Independent
Alexr Camaby 20
Ann Camaby 20

Address: Thurso High Street

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosezi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 June 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks everyone -  I think I have found Mary Strachan born in St Ann, Jamaica in 1793, and it looks like her grandparents Thomas Jennings and Lavina ? were born there too. It will be interesting to find out why she was born in Jamaica -

My 4x great grandparents Lt Alexander Carnaby and Janet Downie and their son  William Carnaby are all buried in St Peter's church yard in Thurso. I was lucky to be sent photos of the grave stone by a distant cousin.   All the Carnaby's in Thurso and Wick are my ancestors, and they probably originated from Northumberland. I will contact the highland archive to see if they have Mary Strachan's headstone - thanks for the tip.
Banks - Wick, Caithness
Dunbar - Co Antrim-Birkenhead-Liverpool
Kemp - Woodnesborough,Kent-Liverpool
Long - Ireland-Liverpool
Clarke - Ireland-Liverpool
Weldon - Dublin-Birkenhead
Thomas - LLandysilio,Anglesey-Liverpool
Roberts -Denbighshire-Liverpool
Spain-Woodnesborough, Kent
Seed - Ballyculter, Co. Down
Graham-Ayrshire-Ballyculter-Liverpool