Author Topic: Interpretation of WW1 Medals and Awards  (Read 594 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
Interpretation of WW1 Medals and Awards
« on: Saturday 23 June 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
I have obtained the list of Awards and Medals relating to my Grandfather who was a 'Sapper, Private' with Royal Engineers, then 'Private' with Royal Field Artillery. It looks as though he was discharged through 'sickness'. Can anyone tell me what 'Para 398 XVI K.R. Sickness' means? I presume K.R. is King's Regulations, but I can't find any reference to paragraph 398

The date of entry to the Theatre of War (France) was 29.7.15, so presumably he volunteered (I don't think conscription started until 1916?), and was discharged on 19.5.16.

Is there any way I can find more about the nature of his sickness?

Thank you
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Interpretation of WW1 Medals and Awards
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Interpretation of WW1 Medals and Awards
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
I'm a tad dubious about Private with the Royal Field Artillery where the private soldiers were either Driver or Gunner.

Unfortunately, the category under sub-para xvi covered every medical thing you could think of and the precise "sickness" is rarely findable, common though was that it rendered him unfit for further service.

If his record is on line, would you want to post details for cross checking?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia