Author Topic: Hannah/Ann Parkinson/Hunter/Whitehead -> help finding baptism  (Read 1163 times)

Online BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah/Ann Parkinson/Hunter/Whitehead -> help finding baptism
« on: Saturday 23 June 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
I am pretty sure that I have got the correct parent from my research (below) but I can't find a baptism for my 4x great-grandmother.

The first record I have for her is her daughter's, Dorothy Barbara Parkinson, baptism in 1832 in Cambridgeshire, where she's called 'Hannah', with 'husband' William Parkinson. They're 'of no fixed abode'. They then have Mary Jane Parkinson in Ripon (according to all her later censuses, other than one which says she was born in Nottinghamshire) in 1835. Their third child, Henrietta Ann Parkinson was born in Lancashire in 1837 (before July). Their fourth child, Frederetta Ellen Parkinson, was born in 1839, and on the birth cert Hannah is called 'Hannah Parkinson, formerly Hunter'. Their last child, Nancy Ruth Parkinson was born in 1841 and on there it says 'Ann Parkinson, formerly Whitehead'.

On all them births their father is William Parkinson who I think is actually Hannah's uncle. On the 1841 census, in Lancashire, neither are born in Lancashire, William was born 1796 and Ann was born 1811. The woman who I'm pretty certain is her mum, Dorothy Parkinson, who married a Richard Hunter in 1813, had a brother called William born in 1798 and on his childrens' burial records (in 1817 & 1820) and also his wife's second marriage (in 1826) his wife is listed as a widow, but I can find no death for a William Parkinson.

By October 1841 Hannah is back in Ripon, marrying Mark Kirby. They married by licence and she's a spinster with her father listed as William Whitehead, wheelwright.
Henrietta and Nancy Parkinson both die in 1842 in Leeds and they're both buried as the 'child of Mark & Ann Kirby. They have two children, Mark William Parkinson Kirby, born in Leeds in 1843 & John Thomas Kirby, born in 1844 in Weeton.
Mark Kirby (the elder) died in a railway accident in Harrogate in 1846.
Dorothy Barbara Parkinson dies in Ripon in 1849 and is buried as a Kirby, daughter of Ann Kirby, widow.

All the children who survived to marry so far have named their father a Mark Kirby (John Thomas named him John Parkinson Kirby for some reason).

The next mention of Ann is in 1848 when her daughter is baptised as Sarah Henrietta Kirby in Ripon with 'Ann Kirby, widow'. Sarah Henrietta wasn't registered until Sept 1848 as Elizabeth Raine with parents Ann Raine, formerly Parkinson. THe next child is Charles Aron Raine Kirby with mother's maiden name Kirby, and he died in 1851 'son of Ann Kirby'. She has three more children, all with the surname Raine, and her maiden name given as Parkinson. On the censuses she's listed as the wife of Aaron Raine and her date of birth varies between 1812 & 1816 and born in Roecliffe/Ripon.

She died in 1869 in Leeds and is listed as 'Ann Kirby, widow of Mark Kirby'. The informant was Jane Mudd, who was formerly Jane Hunter (Mary Jane Raine, Ann's second youngest daughter, married Richard Hunter, Jane's illegitimate son) whose mother was Dorothy Hunter, formerly Parkinson. So, they were [half] sisters.

Sorry for the long and rambling post but I've tried and tried to find definitive proof to back up what I think which is that Hannah Parkinson is the daughter of Dorothy Parkinson.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah/Ann Parkinson/Hunter/Whitehead -> help finding baptism
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
Ben - I'm not sure if you're the person who started the discussion there, but there are a couple of threads about this family at Yorkshire Indexers:

http://www.yorkshireindexers.info/forum/showthread.php?6064-Photos-from-Hunslet-Cemetery

http://www.yorkshireindexers.info/forum/showthread.php?6066-Mark-Kirby-1797-1846

I've a feeling you can't view posts there without registering/logging in, but it's free unless you want to view some of their online transcriptions.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Yes that was me, about 8 months ago I think. I can find mostly everything about the family other than Hannah's baptism to confirm what I think.

Thanks Arthur.

Online BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
Would there be a bastardy bond made for Hannah as she seems to be aware of her real father's name? Where are these held, if so?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
I don't consider myself an expert on this, but I believe the situation was something like this:

If the father accepted responsibility he might simply have agreed to support the mother and child, and there would be virtually no records of this, though possibly his name would appear in the baptism register.

If he was reluctant to accept responsibility, the parish overseers or churchwardens might chase him up and get him to promise to pay up - this would be the bastardy bond, and if it survived it would be found in the parish chest papers.

If he didn't do this, they could take him to the Quarter Sessions, who could make an order to pay.

So you'd need to investigate whichever archive held the parish and Quarter Sessions records.

In all cases there might also be something in the records of the ecclesiastical courts, which aimed to enforce morality. Churchwardens might have reported wrongdoing in their parishes, and the courts would have imposed some kind of penance.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Online BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 May 19 12:06 BST (UK) »
I've only just seen this reply Arthur, while going over my old threads in case I missed anything. I will try and find where any Quarter Sessions may be held.

I've searched for Hannah's baptism but I can't find it anywhere on FindMyPast which only starts Ripon's records in 1813. Her mum was married in 1813 so I am guessing she was born around 1811-1812. Does anyone know where the records for them years' and for the area will be held? Northallerton?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 May 19 13:27 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has earlier registers for Ripon as well, but I don't know if they're fully indexed. I found them by browsing ('Yorkshire Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts Browse'), listed under Ripon, Cathedral - Baptisms and Burials.

There are two different sets that might help: 1802-1812 and 1803-1812. The information on the first frame of each shows that they are from NYCRO in Northallerton, and have the references PR/RI 1/12 and PR/RI 1/15.

You can find out a bit more on these from the NYCRO catalogue at https://archivesunlocked.northyorks.gov.uk/CalmView/default.aspx
1/12 appears to be the normal register; 1/15 is described as a draft or copy.

Online BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 May 19 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. I've searched previously and not found pre-1813 baptisms so I may have to search the pages manually. I'll take a look at these later today. Hopefully she will be there under some name.

Online BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 19 17:25 BST (UK) »
I've just gone through both sets of records between 1810 'til the end of the register in 1812 and there's no sign of my Ann. It's a horrible feeling when I read 'Ann dau of Wm......(faintly written)...Wilson'.

She still remains a mystery.