Author Topic: William Finnie  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Haybag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Finnie
« on: Sunday 24 June 18 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace birth and/or baptism of William Finnie, Hammerman, who married Ann Boyd, his 2nd wife.  They are the parents of my John Finnie, Saddler, who married Elizabeth Sallaway, nee Chandler.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Finnie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 18 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there - dates and places, even if approximate, will be needed in order to help.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Haybag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
William Finnie  1712-1765 Kilmarnock, Ayr  ?
Ann Boyd  1725 Ardrossan, Ayr  ?

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 18 03:05 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose there were any other details in the marriage record?

What about his first marriage? to Whom, When and Where?

There are 6 X William FINNIE baptised between 1700 & 1720 on the Scotlands people index
You could put them all on a map and buy a lot of credits then look at each one, assessing those closest to Kilmarnock first.  You would have to follow them through life a bit to rule them out. (hopefully a lot died early so you can see them easily)

If William didn't have any children by his first wife, and if they followed Scottish naming patterns, then his father ought to be named Archibald. None of the 6 has a father Archibald

You might have gone as far as you can.

Offline Haybag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 June 18 07:44 BST (UK) »
"Thank you for your response.  William's first wife was Mary Wilson whom he married in 1736.  They had 3 children, Jane, James & Janet.  Would this mean his father may be named James?

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 June 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
yes.
First son after the father's father
second son after the mother's father
third son after the father
and vv for the girls

So William's father should be named James and his mother  Janet

Of course when you really want them to, they don't always stick to the naming pattern!

Something seems to be happening with the Scotland's people website. Results I got earlier are now not showing so I can't see if a combo like that exists.

Offline Haybag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 June 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, that gives me something to work with.

Leigh

Offline scottyfl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 March 20 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace birth and/or baptism of William Finnie, Hammerman, who married Ann Boyd, his 2nd wife.  They are the parents of my John Finnie, Saddler, who married Elizabeth Sallaway, nee Chandler.
ScotlandsPeople record FINNIE WILLIAM ANN BOYD/FR1320 (FR1320) date 30/04/1745 Ref 597/50 331 Kilmarnock
Hopefully you are still interested in the Finnie family, some information on William Finnie:
Summary: William Finnie marriage to Mary Wilson on the 3rd November 1736 in the parish of Largs (ScotlandsPeople OPR 602/10 151). In the record it looks like William was not a resident of Largs, possibly Ardrossan, while Mary was a resident of Largs, her father recorded as James Wilson. William and Mary’s first child Jane was born on 9th of March 1738 in Stevenston (ScotlandsPeople OPR 615/10 44) as was James in January 1740 (ScotlandsPeople OPR 602/10 46) and Janet on the 7th October 1742 (ScotlandsPeople OPR 602/10 50).  Though there is no record of her death I believe Mary died sometime between 1742 and 1745 when William married Ann Boyd, William married Ann on 31st April 1745 marriage registered in Ardrossan (ScotlandsPeople OPR 576/ 10 298). However, as the record shows neither where resident of Ardrossan, William had moved to Kilmarnock and Ann was a resident of Girvan. There is no birth record of William Finnie the earliest record in Ayrshire of a William Finnie is a birth on the 9th April 1732 in the parish of Largs. It can be only speculation that William married in Largs in 1736 was one of the original Finnie’s that came from Contablewood in Largs. If you are interested in this connection, I can provide details
Extract from old parochial register of Kilmarnock shows the following: William Finnie, Hammerman in Kilmarnock, his 2d marriage, & Ann Boyd, in the Parish of Ardrossan, were booked on Saturday April 13 1745 & consigned eight marks of penalty & after orderly proclamation three several abbath days were married at Ardrossan on Tuesday April 30 1745 by Mr. (illeg) there.
A hammerman is an ironmaster or ironworker. The eight marks of penalty are believed to be a penalty payable to the church if the marriage is not solemnized following the reading of the banns. a Mark is 13s 4d, so eight would be Ð5 6s 8d -- almost a full year's pay for a parish priest of the time.
The above record in the Kilmarnock Parochial Register shows his marriage to Ann Boyd was his second. There is no other marriage of a William Finnie recorded in Ayrshire between 1730 and 1745. Also, the three children of this marriage have no Christian names in common with those of William and Ann Boyd, even though all of them are common names. There is therefore a strong possibility that Mary Wilson was his first wife.
Hope this helps.
Finnie, Ross, Scott, Renfrewshire, Greenock, Ayrshire, Largs, Milport, Kilmarnock

Offline Haybag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 March 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you very much for your time involved and all the information provided.  Yes, I am still researching William Finnie and Ann Boyd.  I have details of his marriages and children from both but the extra details you included are much appreciated and will add to the story.  I may have to go with the fact that his father was possibly the James I have found but will keep 'digging'.
Leigh