Author Topic: Ancestry DNA questions  (Read 1740 times)

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA questions
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
I think that while DNA genealogy is a useful tool it’s no substitute for traditional research. I got my Ancestry results back a year ago and in that time I’ve managed to find the links to just ten of those.  One is a second cousin once removed, one is a half-second cousin, seven are 4th cousins and one is a 5th cousin.  In most cases they had good trees, although in one case they had just four people in their tree but by luck there was an unusual surname also in my tree which turned out to be the link.

I have many other matches where I’m still doing work to establish the links.  I guess I’ve learned two main things over the last year:

(1) Up until doing my DNA test I had always focused on going back in time with research. I went sideways across each generation (e.g. added in siblings) but never went back down these lines again to more recent generations. I now realise that coming back down these lines helps enormously with trying to place DNA matches.

(2) Linked to this, I now realise that I shouldn’t dismiss matches who are based in other countries. Initially I thought “no point in following this one up, she lives in the USA. No one in my family tree lived there.”  Wrong.  Coming back down these sideways lines I now find people who emigrated to the USA, Canada and New Zealand.  The common ancestor was in England, but people moved away.

Once you’re u get started you’ll learn some tricks, and making the first few links will give you new links.  It does become a bit easier, honest!
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
Many people upload their raw data to other companies.

Take a look at GEDmatch.  This site will accept raw DNA uploads from different sources (Ancestry, 23andme, etc) so that you are comparing your DNA in a larger pool.  And it is a free service!

Bryce
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have said that the results I mentioned above were after uploading my Ancestry results to GEDMatch, MyHeritage and FTDNA. Without that I wouldn’t even have reached ten confirmed matches.

I’m sure I’d make more progress if I had other family members who had tested, and/or more leisure time (working Mum)  ;D
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
I think that while DNA genealogy is a useful tool it’s no substitute for traditional research. I got my Ancestry results back a year ago and in that time I’ve managed to find the links to just ten of those.  One is a second cousin once removed, one is a half-second cousin, seven are 4th cousins and one is a 5th cousin.  In most cases they had good trees, although in one case they had just four people in their tree but by luck there was an unusual surname also in my tree which turned out to be the link.

I have many other matches where I’m still doing work to establish the links.  I guess I’ve learned two main things over the last year:

(1) Up until doing my DNA test I had always focused on going back in time with research. I went sideways across each generation (e.g. added in siblings) but never went back down these lines again to more recent generations. I now realise that coming back down these lines helps enormously with trying to place DNA matches.

(2) Linked to this, I now realise that I shouldn’t dismiss matches who are based in other countries. Initially I thought “no point in following this one up, she lives in the USA. No one in my family tree lived there.”  Wrong.  Coming back down these sideways lines I now find people who emigrated to the USA, Canada and New Zealand.  The common ancestor was in England, but people moved away.

Once you’re u get started you’ll learn some tricks, and making the first few links will give you new links.  It does become a bit easier, honest!

Thanks, I do the same with my search. Add siblings but not follow them down through the generations. I can see how this would help find the connection .

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 June 18 22:03 BST (UK) »

Take a look at GEDmatch.  This site will accept raw DNA uploads from different sources (Ancestry, 23andme, etc) so that you are comparing your DNA in a larger pool.  And it is a free service!

Bryce

Thanks, I've had a little look at Gedmatch and Myheritage, how do I upload my raw data?

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 June 18 22:15 BST (UK) »

Bryce

On the main page of GEDmatch there is a link to upload raw DNA results.  Just follow the instructions.

Thanks, I've had a little look at Gedmatch and Myheritage, how do I upload my raw data?
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline RebeccaNZ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 June 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks!