Author Topic: 1869 burial of Jeremiah Quinlan, in Tasmania  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
  • Owen Wynne Morgan, my 3 x great-grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: 1869 burial of Jeremiah Quinlan, in Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 03:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million ... that clears up another unclear matter.

****It may well also explain the absence of a marriage record for Ellen Quinlan and Owen Orr Morgan, given she was catholic and he was from a family line of Church of Ireland clergy. :o (This thought has crossed my mind many many times)

Rodney53

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 03:43 BST (UK) »
There is a death of a Margaret Quinlan aged 47 in Launceston 1873 that was registered as Mary Quinland.

1873 'Family Notices', The Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880), 14 March, p. 2. , viewed 26 Jun 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66024903

https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD35-1-42p7j2k

M

Adding - the 1872 Valuation Roll shows William Quinlan in Tamar st

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 06:58 BST (UK) »
Do you have death certificates for these people -

William Cornelius QUINLAN                        d. 1935
Anne Nora JOHNSTON nee QUINLAN           d. 1915
Ellen MORGAN nee QUINLAN                      d. 1926

They would ask for "years in the colony", and give some clue to when they left Tasmania.

"...They seem to have chosen new names when they came to Melbourne, for reasons best known to themselves."  Do you know when they arrived in Victoria, and what names they used in Tasmania?

Rather than name changes, I suspect this is just use of names that are different to baptism / birth records, which given names they might never have used.  People were much more flexible with the use of names than we are now.

What certificates do you have for BDM events in the lives of these people, and their families -

The Age 25 Feb 1947 p7
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/205320231?
QUINLAN Gordon William.....cousin of Jack and Florence......

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
Interesting search!

That Launceston registrar was determined to add a 'd' to the surname!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hello again winenhoe,
Re: your questions:

Do you have death certificates for these people -

***I have Ellen Morgan's death certificate. I now know that it contains some errors rather than clarifications. It was informed by my grandfather who either didn't know or chose to muddy the waters. I suspect he didn't know. He put, e.g., that she had lived all 70 years in Victoria.
     William C. Quinlan is the easiest and clearest for researching. His name is clear on Tasmanian records, as are his parents. He is in fact named after his father. And the death notice in newspapers (provided courtesy of you) makes it clear he died in my grandparents' house at 284 Tyler St. Preston, with that suburb named on the bdm site as place of death. Little ambiguity about his name.
     I do not have (but a distant cousin may will have) Annie Johnston's death cert. but what we do have is a collection of newspaper accounts of her stabbing murder at the home of her sister Ellen and brother William, at the hands of the estranged husband (John McNamara) of Ellen Morgan's daughter Lettie. Annie Johnston's family believe her to have been born Margaret Quinlan in Tasmania.

"...They seem to have chosen new names when they came to Melbourne, for reasons best known to themselves."  Do you know when they arrived in Victoria, and what names they used in Tasmania?

I do know that Ellen Morgan was in Adelaide in 1878 for the birth of her first child Emily Sophia Morgan and her next child died in Melbourne in 1880, so she reached Victoria in the interim.
Annie Johnston's family have no clear idea when she left Tasmania but her marriage record places her here in Victoria in 1884. She would have been 20/21 y.o. at that time and her sister was in Melbourne by then. Their father died in 1882, violently. These two events may or may be related. Their brother Bill may well have been in Campbell Town in 1890, as a criminal record suggests. He must have been in Victoria by 1895 for his name to appear on Gordon Quinlan's birth cert. as the father.

Just when we think it can't get any murkier .....

And Judith, re: this observation of yours:

That Launceston registrar was determined to add a 'd' to the surname!

Spot on! or was the Quinlan spelling the error? Given the prevalence of illiteracy at the time the scribe doing the recording of details may well have best guessed a spelling which a family member didn't know for sure anyway.  Simple matter of fact is: I don't know with any certainty. I lean towards Quinlan, given that W.C. Quinlan's name stays without the (d), and I could be dead wrong.

I cannot thank you all enough for your help.

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
I'd go with QUINLAN - the only references to Quinland are those birth and death registrations by one registrar in Launceston.  They muddied the waters a little in the search but there is other evidence of the use of Quinlan even for the same people - eg the baptism records listed by matthewj64 and the newspaper death notice for Margaret.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
I was just a few minutes ago thinking similarly about those baptism records. ...if the clergy weren't among the fairly literate, then we're all in trouble.

Rodney53

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 08:26 BST (UK) »
Is this the earliest evidence you have of a QUINLAN being outside Tasmania?

BDM VIC death
1879 / 4589 MORGAN  Emily Sophia Owen / Ellen (Quinland)
born Adelaide age 1

Do you have a death certificate for father Owen MORGAN to see how long he lived in SA....or ever in?

A birth in SA  would cause you to wonder why Ellen is there. This child is possibly MORGAN at death but not born to Owen....child of Ellen. Do you have this death certificate....who is the informant?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 08:31 BST (UK) »

Search VIC BDM for births and deaths with QUINLAND mother to see this spelling used by your family.  This is their pronunciation of their name?