Author Topic: 1869 burial of Jeremiah Quinlan, in Tasmania  (Read 4630 times)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1869 burial of Jeremiah Quinlan, in Tasmania
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 08:35 BST (UK) »
Am I correct in thinking that William Quinlan senior arrived in 1841 on Asia (6) as Cornelius Quinlan? There's a note on his convict record that ties him to a Launceston court case in 1856 as William.

M

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
  • Owen Wynne Morgan, my 3 x great-grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
Good points, wivenhoe.
I do have a Pioneer index record of Emily Morgan's birth in Adelaide with both names on it. She died the next year. Buried in Melbourne cemetery April 1879, aged 14 months. Her infant sister Letitia was buried with her not too long after.
I also have Owen Orr Morgan's death cert. which makes no mention of his time in Adelaide. His is another checkered story best left alone for now :-)
The birth is Adelaide is certainly food for thought .. maybe the first ship they could get on? Fact is that once they reached Melbourne they stayed.
Owen Morgan died in 1887, leaving Ellen then with a 6 y.o. Annie and a 1 year Letitia (born 1886).
Hope this helps.
Rodney53

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
Am I correct in thinking that William Quinlan senior arrived in 1841 on Asia (6) as Cornelius Quinlan? There's a note on his convict record that ties him to a Launceston court case in 1856 as William.

Hello Matthew,

This is the convict I believe to be the prime suspect to be our ancestor. I can't say that I have much more to go on ... his implied birth year is 2 years out from the one suggested in the Pioneer Index. And the Launceston town is a very good fit. (I have seen a couple of other William Quinlans on convict ship lists). They seem to be less likely fits in our story.

William Cornelius Quinlan is a name which appears at times in the records. Senior and Junior, and the William Cornelius name carried a little further down the family lines.

Thanks again.

Rodney53

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
"... Fact is that once they reached Melbourne they stayed".

If Emily Sophie was born in Adelaide I would keep an open mind about Owen MORGAN being the father of Emily Sophie MORGAN, died 1879.

Who is the informant for the death certificate of Owen MORGAN, d. 1887....the person whose advice does not include him living in SA?

The death certificate for Emily Sophie MORGAN would ask for residency....time in the colony....what do you see? Who is the informant?. Where did Emily Sophie die? Is this death certificate a typed transcription, or an image of a handwritten document?   

Might be a transcription error. Do you see Adelaide...or Adelaide SA....Adelaide South Australia?

If Ellen was in SA it opens other research possibilities. Why is Ellen in Adelaide in late 1870s?

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 01:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks, wivenhoe,

To respond:

If Emily Sophie was born in Adelaide I would keep an open mind about Owen MORGAN being the father of Emily Sophie MORGAN, died 1879.

***I hadn't considered this. The names are highly likely Morgan family names, Emily after Owen's sister who died very young, and Sophia after his mother. Worth considering all the same.

Who is the informant for the death certificate of Owen MORGAN, d. 1887....the person whose advice does not include him living in SA?

***The informant was his brother William Morgan. He advised that Owen lived all his life in Melbourne (which is wrong; he joined the British navy at age 14 and shot through in Sydney 4 years later, so is likely to have been on at least a few long sea voyages in 4 years).

The death certificate for Emily Sophie MORGAN would ask for residency....time in the colony....what do you see? Who is the informant?. Where did Emily Sophie die? Is this death certificate a typed transcription, or an image of a handwritten document?   

Might be a transcription error. Do you see Adelaide...or Adelaide SA....Adelaide South Australia?

***She lived for 14 months only, and died in Melbourne. Pioneer Index and bdm online records have her born in "Adelaide", no mention of S.A. I don't have the full death cert.

If Ellen was in SA it opens other research possibilities. Why is Ellen in Adelaide in late 1870s?

***Sure does open other possibilities .. in 1878 when Emily was born Ellen was 22 y.o. (Owen Morgan was 15 years older than her). Why she might be in Adelaide is a very good question.

Thanks again.

Rodney53

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 03:13 BST (UK) »
There is/was a Catholic Church in Campbell Town called St. Michael's.
Given that William Quinlan senior met with a violent death in Campbell Town in 1882, and his son looks to have been in the area also,  it is possible/likely he was buried from this church.
Does anyone have a link for burial records of that church?
Thanks.
Rodney53

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 05:43 BST (UK) »
I can't see any catholic burial records available that would include William's death, but you may want to contact the catholic archives just in case they have something. Link here, plus index of registers held by Tasmanian archives.
https://www.linc.tas.gov.au/archive-heritage/guides-records/Pages/Church-reg.aspx

I found William's record from the Campbell Town Hospital admission book (TAHO HSO35), which says-

William Quanlan, 60
Admitted 22 July 1882, emergency
Concussion of brain
Died 24 July
Residence - Lake River

His inquest says the injury occured at Macquarie River, which places him somewhere near to the town of Cressy, about 30 miles out of Campbell Town

I suppose there's a chance that his religion wasn't known and he may be buried in a non-catholic area?

M

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 05:51 BST (UK) »
No help with registers but there are some lovely photos of that church on this site:
http://monissa.com/ccphotos/st-michaels-catholic-church-campbell-town/

This site has a list of burials at St Michaels cemetery but no Quinlan.  I'm not sure how comprehensive this list ois or what dates it covers, and possibly it only lists those with headstones.  No mention of any Quinlan on the Anglican cemetery list on Billion Graves site either (Apparently the Anglican cemetery was used by all denominations in the early days)

https://billiongraves.com/sitemap/index.php?cemetery_id=151570&start=0&limit=10000

Again, some photos here but (obviously!) only of those with headstones.  No individual information.
http://www.australiancemeteries.com.au/tas/midlands/stmichael.htm

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 06:10 BST (UK) »
I can't see any catholic burial records available that would include William's death, but you may want to contact the catholic archives just in case they have something. Link here, plus index of registers held by Tasmanian archives.

I suppose there's a chance that his religion wasn't known and he may be buried in a non-catholic area?

***Thanks, Matthew, will give it a try. I have been told that in the early days some burials were in private areas of farmlands. He may well have been there. Or on another cemetery altogether.

*** Thanks also, Judith. Records are scarce everywhere it seems. Photos of the church are beautiful. I'd like to think we had a connection of some sort with such a place in Tasmania. Not looking promising though.

I found William's record from the Campbell Town Hospital admission book (TAHO HSO35), which says-

William Quanlan, 60
Admitted 22 July 1882, emergency
Concussion of brain
Died 24 July
Residence - Lake River

His inquest says the injury occured at Macquarie River, which places him somewhere near to the town of Cressy, about 30 miles out of Campbell Town.

***This is great information. Many thanks, Matthew. And it shifts the focus away from Campbell  Town.

Does the inquest suggest charges be laid by whoever pushed him down the steps to his death?

Rodney53