Author Topic: 1869 burial of Jeremiah Quinlan, in Tasmania  (Read 4684 times)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1869 burial of Jeremiah Quinlan, in Tasmania
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 07:03 BST (UK) »
Something about it here in petty sessions records - hard to read
http://stors.tas.gov.au/LC83-1-14
page 234 James Sessions (Sessons or Sissons in inquest from memory)

'Fully committed for trial'?

M

add- 'Apprehended upon the verdict of a jury of Coroners Inquest held this day ? ? found that William Quinlan came to his death by being forcibly pushed down the steps of a house at ?ington ? / ?on the 20th July  ? ? ? '

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
CON33
Cornelius QUIUNLAN #2157  "Asia" 1841 tried Central Criminal Court 19 Oct 1840 arr. 21 Aug 1841
…"falsely represents himself to be a groom and horseman when hired by his master...
native place Stratford

12 May 1842...….causing a letter to be written and sent to his wife without the knowledge of the Assistant Super…..

1 Feb 1853 Recommended for Certificate Of Freedom  not to reside in the district of Hobart

CON14 images 48/49 of 73
QUINLAN Cornelius gentleman's servant  Roman Catholic, neither read / write
f(ather) Cornelius a fishmonger
m(other) Eleanor    4 b(rothers) 1 s(ister)  N(ative)  P(lace)
2 b(rothers) at home  Mrs P****

Old Bailey online
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/forms/formMain.jsp
Cornelius QUINLAN, 23 years...BROWN came into the room with a child in her arms...…..BROWN ……... said her husband worked at the steam—boats—she said Quinlan was her husband—

BROWN Hannah #471 arr. "Rajah" tried Central Criminal 19 Oct 1840
…..single one child on board...15 Apr 1844 returned to the crown being pregnant...….

"Rajah" arrived 24 Jul 1841

Hannah BROWN marr. John JONES  5 Jan 1846 St Georges Hobart.

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
  • Owen Wynne Morgan, my 3 x great-grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
***Thanks, Matthew ... another gem. Incredible! (and yes, not easy to decipher but worth the effort if you're of the Quinlan line). So very grateful.

***Thanks, wivenhoe ... so many echoes in your latest finds of the records of the Quinlans...groom/horseman/not in Hobart/Roman Catholic. I can't thank you enough. The case for this Cornelius Quinlan, from Stratford, on the "Asia" being our William Cornelius Quinlan in Launceston is strengthened by your discoveries.

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 19 July 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Trial Id   Name   1st Offence for which Committed   Date of Trial   Verdict First Offence   

97703   WILLIAM QUINLAN   WOUNDING A COW   1856-10-29   NOT GUILTY      

119287   WILLIAM QUINLAN   UNLAWFULLY WOUNDING   1881-11-23   SUMMARILY      

(https://prosecutionproject.griffith.edu.au/prosecutions)

I have sketchy records of the two trials identified above. The Not Guilty is a relief given the track record of the Quinlans.

I am hoping somebody may be able to interpret for me what "Summarily" means in this context ... summarily treated? summarily dismissed?

The date is ominous given that in 1882 William Quinlan is pushed violently down steps and ends up dying in Campbell Town hospital.

(As an aside I should add how much interest and gratitude this thread had generated within the Quinlan families, so again my thanks to all who have assisted).

Rodney53

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 19 July 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
The 1881 case is William junior

1881 'LAUNCESTON POLICE COURT.', Launceston Examiner (Tas. : 1842 - 1899), 16 November, p. 1. (Supplement to the Launceston Examiner.), viewed 20 Jul 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article38228398

1881 'LAUNCESTON POLICE COURT.', Launceston Examiner (Tas. : 1842 - 1899), 27 December, p. 2. , viewed 20 Jul 2018, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article38229771

M

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 19 July 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
'Summary Judgment
A procedural device used during civil litigation to promptly and expeditiously dispose of a case without a trial'

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/summary+judgment

This fits with William jnr's plea of guilty to the reduced charge of assault

Offline Rodney53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 20 July 18 01:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks a heap, matthewj64

I didn't think to look at trove.

I had considered Junior as the offender but dismissed him because of his tender years.

Ironically, in 1915, he was involved in the stabbing murder of his sister (Annie Johnston) by the estranged husband (John McNamara) of their niece (Letitia McNamara, nee Morgan). After McNamara had fatally wounded Annie Johnston, Quinlan struggled with McNamara and took a few wounds before McNamara fled, only to be captured the next morning.

There is reason to believe that Quinlan Junior was on the wrong side of the law in Victoria as well. The waters get muddied by the existence of two other W. Quinlans in and around Melbourne at around the same time.

Again, my gratitude.

Btw, I have scoured trove and the prosecutions site in search of James Sessions/Sissons/Sessons. Some evidence of criminal activity but nothing in relation to the death of Quinlan Senior. Charges may have been dropped or he may have gone missing.

Rodney53.