Author Topic: Arthur and Helen with a connection to Monmouth and Wye Valley.  (Read 2226 times)

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur and Helen with a connection to Monmouth and Wye Valley.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 00:33 BST (UK) »
Yes KHP but there's still a story there I like to know.  The other thing that I listed was talk of a big family but there were none or possibly one child by his first wife and 4 by Helen, one died very young, so the photo I remember seeing with a crowded lawn must have been made up of Helen Horne's family who had been in NZ a few generations.
                                                                                     cheers again Fred

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 01:51 BST (UK) »
Maud's name has been crossed out on a shipping list that  left the UK on the 2nd Dec 1920 on the Ruahine.

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 02:30 BST (UK) »

Hi Fred,

From the trees, and you have probably found out by now, but putting down for the others on this thread.  Arthur left England on the 6 March 1920 sailing on the Orvieto.

Cheers
KHP

FindMyPast has an A W Rudge travelling to Sydney from London on the Orvieto his age is 22
Birth year    1898 and occupation    is "DRESS FITTER" with his country of  intended permanent place of residence as NZ,

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 02:46 BST (UK) »
If Arthur left the UK on the 6th march 1920 it was only a month after he married Maud.
If her name was crossed out on the the ship that left the UK on the 2nd December the same year maybe she never came to NZ and it was her who was considered the deserter.
The divorce was the same year he married Helen Horne.

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 03:01 BST (UK) »
An interesting birth  ;D ;D

1922/28983   Horne    Helen    to Ada Frances   and John Lewis

maybe when she thought of marriage it was discovered her birth had not been registered as the exact date works out to be 18/8/1901 when narrowed down on NZ BDM's

Cheers Janette

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
Janette - yes, so far I've not found an arrival in NZ for Maud so did she back out?  It's a big move even today, leaving behind family and friends.  I had a friend who set off for Australia in about 1960, the £10 Poms.  His mother had a nervous breakdown on the voyage and they were stranded in Aden until they returned home, she was a nice lady but I think that episode ruined the marriage, her health.  To be honest I don't really know what happened but she disappeared, I never questioned her sons, my friends.  Thank's for the help by the way.  Fred