Author Topic: Arthur and Helen with a connection to Monmouth and Wye Valley.  (Read 2225 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur and Helen with a connection to Monmouth and Wye Valley.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 June 18 23:51 BST (UK) »

I'm sure someone else will find it

Deaths
1988/37771   Rudge    Helen                            born 18 August 1901

Cheers Janette

An online tree gives the death date as 2nd March,  Kaitaia, Northland.

Cremated Whangarei.

http://www.wdc.govt.nz/SearchCentre/Pages/CemeteryCremationDetails.aspx?CMID=21750&CMType=Cremation

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 18 00:26 BST (UK) »

So what else do I know?  Well Hawkes Bay was part of the NZ address and I remember Napier.  My brother says Dunedin was mentioned and remembered talk about a family member being Post Master of Christchurch at some time, did they switch islands at some point? 

Monmouth.

They moved quite a bit, in 1928 Arthur was a Telephone Linesman.  They lived in Northland for about 10 years, Auckland for a little while, then Timaru in the South Island, then Wellington, I am guessing these moves could have been part of this job.

Cheers
KHP

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 18 00:30 BST (UK) »

They moved quite a bit, in 1928 Arthur was a Telephone Linesman.  They lived in Northland for about 10 years, Auckland for a little while, then Timaru in the South Island, then Wellington, I am guessing these moves could have been part of this job.

Cheers
KHP

The Northland connection might explain Helen dying in Kaitaia,she may have moved to be near family after Arthur died,

Cheers Janette

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 18 00:52 BST (UK) »
I wondered the same Janette :D

Perhaps if Fred has a sub to Ancestry, perhaps he could contact the tree owner, and glean some information.

Cheers
KHP

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 June 18 02:25 BST (UK) »
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/STEP19250806.2.3?page=2&phrase=0&query=Arthur+William+Thomas+rudge+

1925. RUDGE Arthur W. T.   v RUDGE. Maud.  Petition for dissolution on grounds of alleged desertion

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 June 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for an Arthur William Thomas Rudge to Maud Harper on 5 February 1920 in Eynsham, Oxfordshire.

Cheers
KHP

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 June 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
WOW to be honest I didn't expect all the replies, and yes I think I asked here a few years ago but couldn't remember to be sure.  I'm probably not alone but my family tend to use other names, middle names, 95% of people call me Fred, my dad was Fred I'm Robert, my dad was known as Sam because he looked like his grandfather, it doesn't help.  If I now add these details to the Ancestry "Rudge" line it should offer me the chance to connect with the family again.  I think I followed a wrong Rudge line and lost track and didn't look for anyone emigrating, no hint came up suggesting that.  This / these Rootschat groups are incredibly helpful, a friends mother had a family story of her grandmothers uncle Joe Foster being a gambler in the US who died in a gun fight, she wanted to know more.  I asked the US group and they confirmed it all, San Antonio 1884.  Cheers Fred

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 June 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
So my grandmother was Arthur's aunt, and my father's older cousin.  He married Maud Harper February 1920, Maud must have followed Arthur to NZ later as she is alone setting sail from Southampton 2 Dec 1920.  I have no arrival date, or departure so far for Arthur.

I'm not sure who deserted who for the Taranaki divorce, but Maud returns to the UK, again no date, but in 1939 she is Maud Rudge (Divorced) a machinist (door linings) at a car factory in Whitney, Oxfordshire.  She died in 1962 aged 67 and was buried at the church where she married Arthur Rudge.  Sad that she never had a family.

cheers Fred

PS - Some hints to family trees are appearing now.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 June 18 20:40 BST (UK) »

I have no arrival date, or departure so far for Arthur.

cheers Fred

PS - Some hints to family trees are appearing now.

Hi Fred,

From the trees, and you have probably found out by now, but putting down for the others on this thread.  Arthur left England on the 6 March 1920 sailing on the Orvieto.

Cheers
KHP