Author Topic: Windows 10 update problem keyboard issue  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Windows 10 update problem keyboard issue
« on: Sunday 24 June 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if anybody else had come across a keyboard issue after the (presumably) latest windows 10 update.

The problem I encountered was, after many failed login attempts & resulting lockouts, the keys @ & ~ had changed places with the " & £ keys.  ???

Anyway after much brow beating (and the occasional colourful metaphor :-[ ) I discovered that the keyboard language setting had changed from UK English to US English. Apparently, after a quick google search, Microsoft were aware of this issue.

Regards

Stewart

Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 update problem
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 June 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
I’m having this problem too. I had it about six months ago as well and then it suddenly resolved itself. My computer is quite old so I thought it was that which was playing up. I can’t log in at all at the moment. Use iPad for most things luckily.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 June 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
OH had it last week on his old desktop (updated to Win10) and because he was working remotely to the University site, he thought it was them! He then had the same problem sending an e-mail normally. We checked and saw that the language was English (US). Easy to change to UK but annoying.

The other newer machines which were bought with  Win10 installed stayed UK!

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 June 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
Yeah, I had a problem logging on, Isobel, as part of my password contained one of the "reversed" keys.

My laptop is also an older upgraded one, Gadget.

Stewart
Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 18 08:47 BST (UK) »
Yeah, I had a problem logging on, Isobel, as part of my password contained one of the "reversed" keys ...

Well, that's a problem I'd never have thought of  :-\ Thanks for sharing it. Filed away for future reference  :)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 update problem keyboard issue
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
I was unable to log on to my account after the last big update a few weeks ago, and I finally discovered that my password had reverted to the old original one. Mine is a newish laptop with Windows 10 already installed from the start. Luckily (and against all the rules, I know :o) I keep a hard copy of all my passwords hidden in the house, so I was able to consult this and find the old password, which I have now changed back to the one I would normally use.  As I pointed out to my husband, it's pointless storing a (coded) list of passwords somewhere on your computer if you can't open the computer in the first place to find them.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering if anybody else had come across a keyboard issue after the (presumably) latest windows 10 update.

Stewart,

I've moved your post here to the Technical Help board, it will feel right at home here. :)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 June 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
OH had it last week on his old desktop (updated to Win10) and because he was working remotely to the University site, he thought it was them! He then had the same problem sending an e-mail normally. We checked and saw that the language was English (US). Easy to change to UK but annoying.

The other newer machines which were bought with  Win10 installed stayed UK!

Gadget

Yesterday the " button changed places with the @ button...How did you fix it please Gadget...I don't know how to change language back to UK  ::)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 June 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Do you have Eng or something similar bottom right??

Just click on it!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.