Author Topic: Who were the convict, Joseph SMITH's parents?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who were the convict, Joseph SMITH's parents?
« on: Monday 25 June 18 03:08 BST (UK) »
Joseph Smith was a convict to Australia on the Neptune ,2nd Fleet, arriving 1790.
He had been sentenced to 7 years transportation 1988 Old Bailey for theft of two shirts and two neck handkerchiefs' waistcoat and three pairs of stockings.He remained in Newgate Gaol until late May
then sent to Dunkirk Hulk at Plymouth age 14.

He has a history in Australia with many ancestors.He married Margaret Holmes, convict 3rd Fleet.
I am interested in his family background in London, England please.

Turramurra.
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Who were the convict, Joseph SMITH's parents?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 18 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if this thread has landed on the Australia board instead of the London Board?   Here is a link to the thread about Joseph on the completed Australia board.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=344229.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you, majm
I did think about where to put this request and perhaps London board may have been a more sensible idea.
I have conflicting people who could have been Joseph SMITH's  (convict 2nd Fleet to Australia)
Parents:
I names are Mother ,Mary Earle or Hannah Rice
                  Father, Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith (convict) birth date is c.1773.London.
It could be Joseph Wilson SMITH born 27th March 1774.St Sepulchre London,ENG.

Hope to find the exact dates and people to add some beginning to the life of this colourful character in our family history.

Turramurra

HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the following book which details everyone on the 2nd fleet? Does it have any information about the history of Joseph Smith?

Michael Flynn: The Second Fleet Britain’s Grim Convict Armada of 1790
Library of Australian History, Sydney, 1993

Offline rob.pugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 July 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Turramurra
I cannot see how to contact you outside chat boards
I have posted in an old thread re Calders from Berwick to Australia and am interested in available information. I am not sure how to contact you.
Rob.Pugh

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 July 18 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
Welcome to Rootschat :)
Turramurra should receive notification of activity on this post so will hopefully respond shortly. In the meantime here is some information regarding contacting members privately.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM (Personal Message) facility. Attachments are not allowed on PMs. http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Very easy to send a PM (Personal Message). Just click on the circle (left hand side under the persons avatar/name, symbol looks like a letter/page). This will allow you to send a PM and exchange email or other information privately. Members will automatically be notified that they have received a PM.
To read a PM just click on “My Messages” (located on the brown strip, just below the Rootschat header/banner)
When a rootschatter is online the letter/page symbol lights up green but they do not need to be online for you to send them a PM.

Cheers :)
CoL