Author Topic: David Davies & Anne Jones, Llanuwchllyn 14 June 1862  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
David Davies & Anne Jones, Llanuwchllyn 14 June 1862
« on: Monday 25 June 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to trace David Davies and Anne Jones who were married in Llanuwchllyn on the 14th June 1862. I can't find any mention of them in the censuses subsequent to their marriage, or find out if they had any children. It may be that they moved out of the area completely. I thought I'd post here in case anyone has any idea what happened to them.

Anne was the daughter of Hugh Jones from Llanycil and Catherine Roberts from Llanuwchllyn.

Many thanks, Gordon.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Davies & Anne Jones, Llanuwchllyn 14 June 1862
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 June 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
A PLACE of birth and a YEAR of birth would be appropriate, both for bride and groom.

And what was the groom's occupation?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 June 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
A bit more info from the marriage entry:

David's father is down as Owen Davies, a tailor, and Ann's father was Hugh Jones, a carpenter. David was 29 ,a gamekeeper, living at Llanycil and Ann was 21, living Pandy, Llanuwchllyn.

Given David's occupation, they could have moved around quite frequently.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 June 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
In 1841, the Davies family are at Isamynydd, Llanycil/Llanykil

HO107/1430/25/16/2

Mother's name is Elinor.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 June 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Also in 1851

HO107/2510/201/10

Owen now a farmer and tailor and David's oc is tailor!

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 June 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Gordon

Like you, I can't find them so far after their marriage. Have you checked to see if they might have emigrated?

Gadget

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies so far.

Gadget, yes a very good question re emigration. I did start down that line of enquiry. Anne's sister was Catherine Jones (my g-grandmother). Offspring from both her first marriage to Roberts Jones and also her second marriage to Evan Evans migrated to Canada and the USA so there was obviously a wanderlust in the blood. I only know this from family information passed down because it's difficult to ascertain through Findmypast and Ancestry. However I will pursue that line of investigation.

Gordon.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 June 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch have  a wide range ofUS and Canadian info, if Ancestry/FindMyPast aren't giving any info.

https://www.familysearch.org/search

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget,

Yes I did exactly that. I also checked out the Ellis Island web site to see if there were any records there, but alas none.

Interestingly, Anne's brother Ellis (b1837) can be found in Mallwyd, Merionethshire in the 1881 census, with his wife Mary and daughter Ann (b1875) and Ann was apparently born in the USA. This obviously suggests that Ellis and his family went to the USA for a short time but then returned. If his sister was already out there that might make more sense.

I have a subscription to Ancestry but it's not the worldwide version and therefore I don't have access to outbound passenger lists from the UK. The Record Office here in Bath does have a full subscription available to residents though, so I might pop in over the next few days to see if I can discover more.

Gordon.