Author Topic: John Kennedy DOB About 1835  (Read 1348 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Kennedy DOB About 1835
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 June 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stephen.
If John was born in Kilkenny around 1835, you will only find him and his siblings in parish records as Irish registration did not begin until 1864.
You would then need a parish to search  :-\

Are the witnesses to the marriage any help? Were they Irish?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
I have just checked the Roots Ireland website (subscription site -- being a nerd I have a sub) -- there are several records coming up for a John Kennedy b 1830-1835 in Kilkenny with a father James.

However in 1830 in Johnstown, Kilkenny, there is one transcribed record with father James Kenedy and mother Elizabeth Macevoy. Note states mother's name given as Betty. I will check to see if this James and Elizabeth (Betty) - have any more children's baptisms recorded.

(The other results have a different mother's name.)

This record may be amongst the RC baptisms on Ancestry/Find My Past -- but note the spellings of Kenedy and Macevoy -- although they could well have been transcribed differently on different sites.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Stephen K

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood. I know nothing about the witnesses other than their names, none of which are any names in my family. And yes I know about Parish Records but as I don't know what parish I don't know which one to look at. Kennedy is a very common name in Kilkenny so just searching parish records would not help me in identifying the right John Kennedy.
Thanks, Pennines. I wonder could this be them? There is a betty in the family & this could have been called after her grandmother but then again Elizabeth (Betty) was a popular name at the time. I await hearing from you.
Thank You.
Kennedy, Bell, Crumley, Job, Reilly, Convery, McConville & Crowley

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 June 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
That birth was suggested in your previous thread but no other information.

I was wondering if the witnesses could be seen in censuses - they too might have come from the same area - long shot but sometimes happens.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 June 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

Using a wide range of dates 1820 - 1845 I can only find the following children born to James Kenedy and Elizabeth Macevoy in Kilkenny. In each case mother is shown as Elizabeth in the transcription - but there is a note saying 'mother shown as Betty'.

All 3 are in Johnstown -- and all shown as Kenedy.

29.4.1829 William Kenedy (one of the sponsors was a Bridget Macevoy - maybe a sister of Elizabeth)

16. 7.1830 John Kenedy

30.3 1833 William Kenedy (so William number 1 must have died. There is no burial record for him on this site).

Strange that there are only 3 children born. Also I could not see a marriage in Kilkenny between a James Kenedy and an Elizabeth or Betty Macevoy -- widened the search to all of Ireland -- still nothing unless I'm missing it.

Under the Irish naming patterns -- this suggests William may be the name of James's father -- UNLESS there were earlier children not recorded on this site. It may be worth searching the RC records on Ancestry or Find My Past -- as well, all these 3 were baptised in Johnstown, but that doesn't mean the family always lived there --- and it might not be the right couple either!

Irish research is SO frustrating!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline markbuckle

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 February 24 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Im looking for anything related to a John Kennedy believed to be from Johnstown born in 1814.
He enlisted in the army in Liverpool 15 January 1836.
Many thanks, Mark