Author Topic: Possible Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry 4th Battalion Photos? 1939-40  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry 4th Battalion Photos? 1939-40
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 July 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
I have found the book, its the Ox & Bucks War Chronical 1939-1940. I have read through it this afternoon an there is no mention of your relative, it only names Officers and just refers to 'other ranks' for the rest. There are a couple of photos, the Officers before embarkation etc.

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 July 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
I have found the book, its the Ox & Bucks War Chronical 1939-1940. I have read through it this afternoon an there is no mention of your relative, it only names Officers and just refers to 'other ranks' for the rest. There are a couple of photos, the Officers before embarkation etc.

Ok thanks for looking i appreciate it.
Tuzio, Verrechia, Quaglieri, Squires, Matthews, Totten, Cooke, Hill

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 July 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootes 75

Could I get a copy of the photo you mention of the officers before embarkation and any others?  I am very interested in photos of Jimmy Graham and Noel Ruck-Nightingale who both died during the escape attempt from Cassel on the night of 30th May 1940 but whose bodies were not found.

Hi Rebecca Totten.  I have done some research on the 4th Ox and Bucks at Cassel so please message me if you have any questions. 

I have seen a list of the officers in the Attiches photo somewhere and could look it out if you are interested still. 
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 July 18 20:35 BST (UK) »
Neither men you mention are in the group photo but looking at the date entry of the 4th Battalion for the 30th May it details the fighting at Watou and Hondschoote and notes heavy casualties, including 'Second Lieutenant Ruck Nightingale missing, believed killed'.

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 July 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
I have just found an extract from Padre Wild.
'No one saw Godfrey Wykenham hit, but we heard of him first wounded, then died. Likewise no one saw Bertie Falkiner, Colin Dillwyn or Jimmie Graham killed, but I saw a private, who buried Jimmy, and Douglas Whinney has his watch. Of Noel Ruck Nightingale we have no news at all.'

Offline Rebecca Totten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 July 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootes 75

Could I get a copy of the photo you mention of the officers before embarkation and any others?  I am very interested in photos of Jimmy Graham and Noel Ruck-Nightingale who both died during the escape attempt from Cassel on the night of 30th May 1940 but whose bodies were not found.

Hi Rebecca Totten.  I have done some research on the 4th Ox and Bucks at Cassel so please message me if you have any questions. 

I have seen a list of the officers in the Attiches photo somewhere and could look it out if you are interested still.

Hi yes i would definitely be interested in the list of officers.

Kind Regards
Tuzio, Verrechia, Quaglieri, Squires, Matthews, Totten, Cooke, Hill