Author Topic: Edward STEWART, weaver  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Wotname

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward STEWART, weaver
« on: Tuesday 26 June 18 07:04 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a date of death for Edward Stewart, b. 2 Jan 1792 in Campbelltown, Ayrshire. He was listed in the 1841 census with his family - wife Margaret [Littlejohn] and seven children.
In 1851, Margaret was listed on her own, under her maiden name, widowed and with just two of the children. This suggests to me that her husband Edward died between 1839 (when their youngest was born) and 1851, but I can find no trace of any death or burial record for him.
Can anyone help?
Thanks-
Andrea

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward STEWART, weaver
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
Do you mean Campbelltown in Argyllshire? If so, the Moderator will be able to move the topic from Ayrshire to Argyllshire.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 June 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
I note that Edward was born in Campbeltown but moved to Ayrshire

EDWARD STEWART married  MARGARET LITTLEJOHN 17/06/1812 Kilmarnock, Ayrshire

1841 West Shaw St. Kilmarnock Edward + Margaret & 7 children.

No burials on line but you could try contacting the Burns Monument Centre, Kay Park Cres, Kilmarnock KA3 7RU

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Wotname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, GR2 - I think I made an error there, as you said. And now, having checked the 1841 census again, he is recorded as being born in Ayrshire; unless the recorder made an error, the Campbelltown birth cannot be his anyway! I think I'd better start another search...

And ColC: I do have the details of Edward's marriage to Margaret, but it seems now that, as above, he is not the same person as that born in Argyllshire. Do you have any information in that area?

I will follow up your suggestion re the Burns Monument Centre to try to find his death.

Thank again -
Andrea

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
1841 Census Kilmarnock
        STEWART       Edward       M       50       Carpet Weaver        Ayrshire            
        STEWART       Margaret       F       45               Ayrshire            
        STEWART       Margaret       F       20       Sewer        Ayrshire            
        STEWART       Janet       F       15       Sewer        Ayrshire            
        STEWART       Andrew       M       15       Cotton Hand Loom Weaver Appen.        Ayrshire            
        STEWART       Edward       M       15       Cotton Hand Loom Weaver Appen.        Ayrshire            
        STEWART       Jean       F       10               Ayrshire            
        STEWART       Agness       F       10               Ayrshire            
        STEWART       Mathew       M       2               Ayrshire         

The only Edward Stewart born Ayrshire on SP is below. Although age 50 in 1841 his age that he gave would have been rounded down to the nearest 5.

EDWARD  STEWART children baptised Craigie, Ayrshire

Edward 00/00/1786

Siblings Robert 25/01/1780 – Jean & Margaret 02/05/1784 – Mary 08/03/1789

Margaret Littlejohn bap 28/04/1793 Kilmarnock, Parents Andrew & Elizabeth Moor
Margaret was an only child?

Regards Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 June 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
Just a note on Craigie where Edward was born.

The village of Craigie lies about three miles south of Kilmarnock.

Colin

Offline Wotname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 June 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
Colin, thank you for your help and suggestions.
I've not been able to find Edward snr's birth on line - I was given most of the info about the family by my husband's cousin (my husband John's mother was Florence Jean Stewart), and when I recorded all this some ten years ago was not as careful about checking sources! - but your suggested 1786 birth in Craigie sounds likely.
Can you suggest any online sources which may have some of the missing bits?
I do have the parish record of Edward and Margaret's marriage, but the info in that is minimal.
Birth dates for Edward jnr and his wife Eliza Gordon are recored on their headstone in Wentworth, NSW, so hopefully they are both accurate!
And where did you find Edward snr's siblings?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 June 18 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
All of the records mentioned are on Scotland's People (a low cost pay to view site).

Sadly I was unable to find a birth or marriage for Edward senior, this may mean the records have not survived or maybe he was not born in Scotland.

Regards Colin

Offline Wotname

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 June 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Yes Colin, I did finally find Edward jnr's birth, along with his siblings - but only when I searched for all births 1780-1790 in Craigie/Kilmarnock, after I'd already tried for Edward on his own in Kilmarnock (although on second thoughts I was probably concentrating on 1788-1793). Thanks for the lead to Craigie.
For now, my head is spinning and I have now to update all my records...perhaps tomorrow!  ;)
Many thanks again for all your help.
Andrea

PS - What - A Stewart not born in Scotland?!! :o