Author Topic: Compressing photo files  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Compressing photo files
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
I usually resize in Paint, be sure to select all the original and copy and paste it to a new paint window then resize the copy that way you still have the original.
When you save the copy look at the bottom of the screen there is a little box with the size, if it's not small enough you can resize again.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
Well,  a photo (assuming it's JPG or similar), IS compressed.   That's what the jpg format does.  All you can sensibly do is "resize" - and that reduces the number of pixels, and thus the number of bytes, in the file..   JPGs are already compressed, and using any other software to try to further compress a JPG will have very little impact on the file size.    As you say, a RESIZE will reduce image quality.

There's compression and compression. In most graphic programs, there is the option of deciding how much compression you want to have~

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
The max file size here is 500KB, so if you have a file that's larger than that, how do you "resize" it in Photos to get it below the limit for uploading here, please?

STG

You can do this in Paint ~ Click on Resize and this pops up, then chose percentage or pixels

Snipped too much so a new  snip - see size at bottom - adjust until it's the size you want

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 June 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Trying this in Paint, but I must not be doing it properly because whether I opt for Percentage or Pixels, and then use lower numbers than are already there, the file size at the foot of the page doesn't change.  :(

Or, perhaps, it only changes once it's been re-saved?

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 June 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Yes. i think that's right - check the "properties" of the file before and after resize "save" and you should see the byte count reduced.  Quality WILL suffer on a resize.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 June 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, saving it showed the reduced file size.

Thanks
STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)