Author Topic: Did I do something wrong?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Did I do something wrong?
« on: Wednesday 27 June 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Recently I discovered the names of my nephew and niece, both living, had been entered on someone's tree on GR.  I wrote to the person who had entered them and asked his/her relationship to them.  (I check new entries every few weeks and always follow up new potential relatives.) I also pointed out that it was not advisable to enter the names of living persons if their permission had not been sought.  I received a stinging and abusive retort, criticising the tone of my message, which I had, I thought, been written in an inoffensive way with the best of intentions to protect my relatives.  I just had to reply, saying that my message must have been misunderstood, since I was simply following up relatives and pointing out the usual "living relatives" advice. I offered to help with his/her research into the family.  Cue another rude reply, to which I shall not be answering.

What did I do wrong?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Did I do something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
I dont understand why you didnt now contact your neice/ nephew and give them a pro forma to contact GR with, to get details removed.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Gillg, sometimes people misinterpret the written word. I think it is a very safe medium. Some people prefer to lighten written correspondence by putting smiley faces in, but I am a 100% of the opinion that this trivialises things, and also different expressions on a cartoon face can be misinterpreted. (Is that a coy wink? Or a sarcastic wink, or a knowing wink or have you just got dust in your eye?)

Perhaps you could follow up by providing two or three links to websites which explain about the delicacy of not including living people on family trees.

It's not quite the same, but two years ago, in advance of a visit to Hartlepool where my ancestors had lived, I wrote to the addresses where eight of my ancestors had lived, explaining that I was writing out of courtesy in case they saw me outside taking photographs, although I was hoping for an invitation inside. I only got one reply from the eight letters, and that was from somebody who would have welcomed me, but unfortunately was not going to be in Hartlepool that weekend.

Finally, I'm not at all worried if somebody adds me to their public family tree.  As long as there is no death date it lets me know I'm still alive.

Martin

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
Until the recent change in the law (last month) it was undisputedly clear (confirmed by the Information Commissioner, the person who rules on this subject in England and Wales), that it was legal and permissible to add the name of living people to a personal family tree website (i.e. one not connected to (used by) a business).

Now thanks to the General Data Protection Regulation which came into force on the 25 May 2018 the situation is not only grey but positively muddy.
It may no even be legal to add a living person's name to a private family tree (one kept for ones own personal information and not shared with anyone), without the express permission of the person concerned, it may not even be legal to keep their name on one's own address book without their permission.
Such things have not yet been tested in court and without a ruling the true situation cannot be understood.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, everyone, for your comments.  Guy, that's an interesting development. Although I did not think that using the information about living persons was actually illegal, it did seem that doing so in a family history situation normally follows a certain protocol, i.e. that you do not use information on a site such as Rootschat or GR about living persons. I certainly don't have any living family members apart from myself and my husband on my GR tree. One of the persons named by that GR member is very careful about the public use of his name, as his work is of a sensitive nature.  I am contacting him and his sibling to see whether they have actually given permission for the use of their names and how they feel about someone doing this.   I was only protecting my family and did not expect to be subject to a tirade of abuse for doing so.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
GR's regulations state:

You must have permission to include any living individual's details and photos in your family tree.

You could try asking them to take action, though given the total abandonment of the site by its owners, you probably wouldn't get a reply  ::)

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 June 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Bev
Just ploughed through GR's Terms & conditions and found your reference.  Very interesting.  I'm waiting to hear from my relatives to find out whether they were approached for their permission before deciding what further action to take.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 June 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
Both relatives have now stated that they object to their information being used without their permission and want it removed.  Now to grit my teeth and face more abuse, though I'll try via GR  first. Wish me luck!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 June 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
To spare you any further angst couldn't the relatives who are actually named make their objections?

Might be better coming from them but just a suggestion  :) 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos