Author Topic: Did I do something wrong?  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Did I do something wrong?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
jbml
Thanks for your very interesting comments.  Although I found my remarks to the other person acceptable, it's possible that he/she interpreted them in a different way, however, having received a second rambling and abusive email, I decided that the only way to deal with this was to refer it to GR, who appear to have resolved the matter.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
Have the names been removed, Gill?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, they have, Groom, so I'm grateful to GR for taking effective action.

Gill  :)

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 August 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
That's really good to hear. Perhaps it will also show the tree owner that they have to take more care in the future and that if they had responded to your original, polite request they wouldn't have come to the notice of GR.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 August 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
... On the internet, however, we are all reduced to a state of autism; and I believe it is this absence of non-verbal prompts which leads to the sudden and unexpected rows-over-nothing for which internet discussion groups are so notorious ...

Isn't that why emoticons/emojis were invented?  ;)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 August 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
Mike - yes, it is ... and they help a lot.

I have found that many people are sneeringly dismissive of the usefulness of emoticons. I have never understood this attitude myself.   ???

But then again, they offer me a facility which enhances my online communication capabilities over and above those which I enjoy IRL; whereas for non-autistic people they merely offer a partial replacement for a facility that they may not actually appreciate they have been deprived of. Maybe this goes some way to explaining the different viewpoints.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 August 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
I imagine that you didn't do anything wrong, in life there are some folk who interpret assistance and advice as being 'told off' or 'told what to do', and even the most diplomatic of approaches would elicit the same sort of response that you received. Anyway, sorted, and not worth you losing a second of sleep over it.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 August 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks gaffy. :)