Author Topic: List of surviving Parish Registers and Bishops Transcripts for England Parishes  (Read 1358 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there does anyone please know if such a list of surviving Parish Registers and Bishops Transcripts for England Parishes has been compiled at all? In a published format somewhere?

I ask because one parish I am interested in - Priors Marston in Warwickshire - has PRs from 1689 as outlined here on familysearch https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Priors_Marston,_Warwickshire_Genealogy

However I know that the BTs actually start at 1662 as outlined here https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/leisure/archives/services/publications/ParishRegisterGuide2015July-v3.pdf

I rather suspect there could be quite a lot of parishes where older BTs survive compared to the surviving PRs and people might not know, which is why I am seeking a complete list.

If anyone can help I would be grateful.

Thank you,
Jon

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: List of surviving Parish Registers and Bishops Transcripts for England Parishes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
The Society of Genealogists published a number of books on this for various counties, although some showed more detail than others in the case of BTs.  I believe many are out of print now but may be found in other libraries.  The books also showed where copies and transcripts existed too, albeit these related to when the books were published which was mainly I think in the 1990s and early 2000s.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
The Parish pages for all 682 parishes in Yorkshire on www.genuki.org.uk have information on the whereabouts and dates of the Parishes Registers and Bishops' Transcripts including IGI coverage.  Maybe some other counties on genuki have this information also.

Venelow
Canada

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
It’s not going to help you, because no Warwickshire, but for others the Soc of Genealogists actually has these on special this month

http://www.sog.org.uk/uploads/Newsletters/SoG_monthly_newsletter_jul_2018.pdf

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Amongst the many books on the subject are the following.

Key to the Ancient Parish Registers of England & Wales : by A.M. Burke. Published in 1908.

The Parish Registers of England : By J. Charles Cox. Published in 1910.

Parish Registers in England: by R.E. Chester Waters. Published in 1883.

However such lists, when it comes to Bishop’s Transcripts may in many cases raise false hopes as there was no legislation in place regarding the storage of Bishop’s Transcripts.
As a result such transcripts were often dumped in piles in attics and cellars with no regard to their preservation and those piles of vellum are in many cases piles of damp mouldering masses which stink to high heaven, if they have not been attacked by vermin or even disposed of in the meantime.

Where BTs and indeed PRs have been microfilmed the limitations of the microfilm process means the many of the early "pages" appear as black blobs where the feint text has been over-exposed and cannot be read.
In such cases the best remedy would be to digitise the relevant pages directly as digitising can produce better results than microfilming, but costs prevent this happening at present.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I have a book on Bishops' Transcripts and Marriage Licences, Bonds and Allegations, by Jeremy Gibson, published by the Federation of Family History Societies.  Basically, you need to know which diocese your church was in, at the time they were born, married or died.  Surviving BTs will then be in the appropriate record office.
Please PM me if I can help.
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: List of surviving Parish Registers and Bishops Transcripts for England Parishes
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, everyone. And apologies for the delay in acknowledging the messages. Rootschat is helpful as always!

Thanks,
Jonny