Author Topic: AMIET - are these the same person ?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
AMIET - are these the same person ?
« on: Wednesday 27 June 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
In NSW:

Frederick Amiet or Amiets appears in NSW in 1897 when he married Selina Manton.  Selina already has a son, Vincent, aged about 5,  whose birth is registered in 1892, and who goes to the first world war.  Frederick was a blacksmith.

Frederick and Selina have about six more children, starting with "Earnist F Amiets" in 1898, and then Harold Hector Amiet, and then several more.   Frederick dies in 1937 and according to the NSW Death registration index,  his name is apparent "Alfred Frederick Amiet",  although no other mention of him in NSW has this name, just Frederick.  According to the death index,  the informant said his parents were Louis and Louise.  Frederick was a blacksmith.  He was probably quite a respectable fellow,  he was appointed to be a JP, although this was later cancelled when he was bankrupt.

Most of this family lived at Carinda, a small village between Walgett and Brewarrina.

His son Harold Hector Amiet died in 1940.   His son Ernest F Amiet was married in about 1922,  his wife Alice died in 1937 aged 41, leaving a young family of seven.  Another newspaper mentions that they had four sons.   One of the sons of Ernest and Alice appears to have been another Harold Amiet, who was probably born in the later 1920's and married Margaret A Pascoe at Coonamble in 1952.   They had about 6 children.  The second Harold died in 1984,  the death registration index names his as Harold Hector Amiet and his father Ernest Frederick and his mother is unnamed. Margaret (Pascoe) Amiet died in 2014 and both appear to be buried at Baradine.    For an unknown reason,  the NSW marriage index calls him Harold Peter Amiet.

Meanwhile,  in Victoria,  three gents named Amiet turn up in 1849 from the same village in Switzerland.   Supposedly they were supposed to start the wine industry in Victoria.

One, Frederick, married the daughter of Governor LaTrobe's housekeeper, had about 5 children, and died in 1864, aged 36.

Another one,  Jean Francois Amiet, also married in Victoria and also had several children.

The third one,  Louis Abraham Amiet ( or Abraham Louis Amiet ), was apparently already married to a Marie Louise (Ducommun) Amiet.  He died in 1872.  Newspaper advertisments were placed, advising that Louise Amiet ( the widow ) intended to continue running their Swiss restaurant in Geelong, which had been in business for 15 years.   However,  in 1873,  she tried to sell the business, transfered her wine license, married a mysterious J.C. Sangroubert ( spelling varies )  and stated she was returning to Switzerland.    However, at some point, she came back to Geelong where she died around 1893.

These three Amiet gents may have been brothers or half-brothers or cousins.   There is a tree on the internet containing quite a lot about the descendants of the first two ( with some apparent mistakes ),  and mentions Louis but nothing about his family.  I contacted the person who made that tree and he said he was aware of Louis but could not find anything much about him.

Then, there is also Alfred Amiet.  The victorian registration index has an Alfred Amiet born 1855,  son of Louis and Louise,  who apparently dies in 1856.

There is an Alfred Amiet who is an apprentice blacksmith in Geelong in 1874, married in 1879,  has his own business in 1880, which is glowingly described in 1884.  He is also a councillor of the West Geelong council.  However, in 1892 he transfers his business to be wound up,  and thereafter disappears from Victoria.   There are no recorded children from his apparent 1879 marriage.  His wife is mentioned in 1887 having a public fight with another woman in the street.  There is no apparent death for Alfred or his wife in Victoria.  There are newspaper ads in Geelong in 1896 advertising a large blacksmiths workshop for rent in Geelong, "known as Amiets".

These Amiets had a long habit of naming sons, not after their father or grandfather, but their uncle.  Maybe that is a swiss thing.

My hypothesis is that Louis and Louise Amiet had another son Alfred, in the late 1850's,  whose birth registration is not apparent,  but named after the Alfred born in 1855 who died.  My theory is that this Alfred is the blacksmith,  who in the mid 1890's sometime left Victoria after his business failed and his mother died.  He turns up at Carinda NSW where he married Selina Manton in 1897, and has several children, and was still a blacksmith.  His death in 1937 would be about 80.   However, except for the 1937 death registration, he is always called Frederick in NSW, except when he died.   Whatever happened to his apparent first wife,  is not at all obvious.

Any info or advice about these people ?  I guess the first thing to do is get the 1937 death certificate and see what else it says.  First, I need to persuade the people I am looking at this for to pay for it.

I am also trying to find the parents of Margaret A Pascoe.  She was supposedly 80 when she died in 2014,  so born around 1934 and about 18 when she married.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: AMIET - are these the same person ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 18 00:05 BST (UK) »
.....  First, I need to persuade the people I am looking at this for to pay for it.

???  I think you should be encouraging those people to join RChat for themselves  :) 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 18 00:11 BST (UK) »

If you are researching the origins of Frederick AMIET you need to see the marriage certificate.
Frederick will be giving information about himself.

NSM BDM marriage
5116/1897  AMIET  Fred    m.  MANTON Selena   @ Brewarrina

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hello xiaolu,

I have just sent you a pm regarding this topic.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello xiaolu,

Regards

Sarah

Hello again xiaolu, I do not think that I have heard back from you yet on this topic. I would appreciate a message back.

Regards

Sarah

Offline Jimmyjames

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello xiaolu,

Regards

Sarah

Hi sarah

I would like to talk further with you about the amiet family tree. I am the grandson of Margaret pasco-amiet.

Regards
Jim

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 December 20 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim,

I am sorry but I have no connection to this family, I am a moderator here on RootsChat. The post originator is xiaolu.

Regards

Sarah