Author Topic: Ideas needed on the name 'Shunpilder' please?  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas needed on the name 'Shunpilder' please?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 July 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your input as I now have a few things to explore at a later date.

I feel sure there's a connection with the German chaps, thanks to Malky & Gadget!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 July 18 03:45 BST (UK) »
No Shunpilder on Free BMD

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 July 18 04:45 BST (UK) »
Barry,

I did extensive searches on the name prior to my post i.e. my reason of thinking the name was probably slightly different to what was actually written (spelling) but I couldn't fathom what the name could/should have been...if only I'd noticed there was a 2nd page to the 1901 census, it may have given me an idea?

It's been a good thread with a lot of interest which I didn't expect to be honest & a great help to me!

Thanks for your interest.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline TartanHome

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I am very new to this this site, but noted the names of people in my family tree in this topic.
I am a great-great granddaughter of JANE McLUSKIE/McCLUSKEY, whose sister AGNES (b.1859) worked in Edinburgh where she met and married a German-born butcher, JULIUS HANNES SCHONFELDER (Marriage in Edinburgh on 16th Feb. 1881). Jane had at least 8 children, one of whom was called JULIUS SCHONFELDER CUNNINGHAM, after his uncle. The young Julius was always known by the nickname “Caesar”. Caesar married Minnie Ward, my grandfather’s sister, and they ‘took in’ my grandfather as a six-year-old when his mother died. He lived with them until he joined up at the beginning of WW1. My grandfather later married Caesar’s niece, further joining the two families.
THOMAS BYERS and JANE BYARS were my grandmother’s sister and brother, children of RBERT COWAN HAWTHORN BYERS and AGNES CUNNINGHAM.
I hope this helps. I have a great deal of information about this tree as my mother died only two years ago in her mid-nineties and left extensive notes on family history.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 November 20 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi T H,

Thanks for your message & welcome to RC!  ;)

I can see you're obviously related to my g/son although at this point I don't know the exact relationship.

I only have bits & pieces of the info. you posted in my tree as I'd really only concentrated on the direct Cunningham line.

My g/son is a direct descendant of Julius Schonfelder Cunningham & Mary Ward through their son John Ward Cunningham.

This family is like taking on a clan, there's 1000s of them, a costly affair  ;D

Annie