Author Topic: Eve Karslake & James Craven  (Read 3301 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Karslake & James Craven COMPLETED THANKS!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 June 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
I think it was just the smileyface emoji and nothing else written as a reply, your having requoted the bit where I had said about James being imprisoned while serving in the Indian Service, the latter 2 words of which you had highlighted.  Still, let's forget all the wrangling, eh?  Life's too short. 
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Karslake & James Craven COMPLETED THANKS!
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 July 18 03:58 BST (UK) »
I think it was just the smileyface emoji and nothing else written as a reply, your having requoted the bit where I had said about James being imprisoned while serving in the Indian Service, the latter 2 words of which you had highlighted.  Still, let's forget all the wrangling, eh?  Life's too short.

Perhaps if you were to check your Opening Post, and then read the replies that follow, up to and including my posts at reply nos #4   and #9   you will notice they are part of an ongoing 'conversation' ... so by reply #5, you write re the other James Craven marriage for 1944 ... 'Actually, forget that;  I should try and find out when James was freed by the Japanese as 1944 was probably too early for him ... got out of the Army ...."   

You will notice Ros at reply #7 mentions RAN .... as in Royal Australian Navy .... but your OP already noted he was a Commissioned Officer in the Indian Service, and imprisoned Changi... 

You will notice Cando at reply #8 (and less than half an hour after Ros #7) has found your James, giving you a) his DoB, b) his relationship to Eve, and c) noting the chap that Ros found at #7 was not a POW, and provides a live link to the WWII nominal roll summary.   

I was next to reply, and somehow, hours later, and several posts later, Ros has mis-interpreted my reply, and then later, you have offered an explanation for Ros' post in respect of mine.       Meanwhile, Ros has not responded to my direct question. 

I am concerned.  You see, the smiley I used is NOT a smiley to do with 'amuse' or to entertain, or to indicate the poster is attempting 'humour'  .... That smiley is perhaps based on the first smiley design ever.... It is usual to accept that smiley (  :) ) as the smiley for friendly greetings of a general nature.   RChat offers other smileys including:
Wink, Cheesy, Grin, Angry, Sad, Shocked, Cool, Huh, ....I leave it to you to go through them all...

Anyway, your reply comments on my emphasis on the words I quoted from your OP...  I fail to understand why you determined that I was critical of your abbreviated expression re Indian Service ... it is an expression that family history buffs of long standing would use or be familiar with in respect of POW research from WWII. 

Ros replied at #10, and that particular reply initially read 'Yes I realised that this was a different James .... "   And several hours later,  that post was modified to read "Yes Cando I realised that this was ....", hence my post #17 where I asked Ros to please stop editing this post. 

But back to the find by Cando re your James.   

Cando at reply #11 finds his Military year info and notes it requires a subscription.    So, from reply #8 finding your chap's dob and then #9 noting Indian Service and #11 finding there's a subscription site with further info ...

Ros continues to post info at #12 which is not to do with the chap or his wife mentioned in the OP or at #5 where we learn we are not needed to seek out other sightings of other CRAVEN families.   However, Ros does ADD to that post "lots more to be found but I'll wait until Lydiann tells us whether it is relevant" ...   

I now mention that I have not found where anyone else posted on this thread in respect of those other Craven sightings ...

I again mention also that after I had posted at #9,  Ros posted twice more, before THREE HOURS after my #9, Ros then posted at  #13 wondering why I thought this was funny and writing that I had a strange sense of humour ....   I NOTE that by asking 'WHY'  it was Ros who presumed that I thought it was funny. 

I have posted asking Ros to explain her post, #14 "Why do you consider I thought it funny" to which Ros replied #15 "I have no idea - it doesn't seen funny to me in any context".  I leave it to you to read my response to that (#16).

Throughout all those posts, Cando and sparrett kept seeking the actual document that Cando had noted back at #11.  At reply #22 Cando gives further info about the couple who were ought to have been looking for.

I now note that Ros has been online quite recently, but has not posted on this thread.  I also note that I have received a PM from an RChatter who has NOT posted on this thread, and who is rarely online.  They mention that back around 13/14 May THIS YEAR, they used the R2M button and a Moderator removed an entire post from a thread.  It seems the post was extremely nasty and directed to me.    I am aware of other posts where Ros has hectored me, or given me instruction to order a particular NSW BDM document or demanded I apologise.

I have checked and I advise that on my 'Ignore List' there are THREE RChatters, including rosball.

I agree that Life's too short ... and I add, there's no need to hector anyone ever.

I note you have completed the Thread. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Eve Karslake & James Craven
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 July 18 04:27 BST (UK) »
JM,
  Please remove your comments which are critical of Lydiaann.   Lydiaann was a good sport and tried to smooth over the wrangling and is in no way responsible for any of it.

A poster is free to ask for info on any side issues that she/he wants answered.  Others are free to ignore the responses to the side issue.

I obviously blocked you some years ago (after that nasty pm) and that also means I don't have to read your posts which is why I did not see yours immediately.   If you did not mean it to be a joke then I apologise.  (adding : Why didn't you just say so?)

You may leave your remarks criticising me but I do ask that you remove those critical of Lydiaann as they are unwarranted.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 July 18 07:17 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I am on track or not here. I am wondering if this marriage could have occurred in another country, then they migrated together to WA. Our Australian servicemen come back home and get discharged. However since he wasn't in the Australian army, could he have been discharged overseas then married? Possibly to someone that he already knew before the war.

Regards
Jennaya

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 July 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
I understand what you are saying Jennaya.  It's already been stated that no-one can find the marriage of Eve(lyn) and James.  As he would have been in his late 20s at the time of his imprisonment, it is possible he emigrated later in life to Australia and they met then.  The problem with the UK available archives (on-line, that is...we'd have to travel all over UK, I think, to follow this family!) is that between the 1911 census and the 1939 Register there are limited Electoral Rolls and Directories, although more are coming on line every week.  Remember that in those days, not many people actually had telephones even!  James could even have been married, left his wife and met Eve and maybe they never even married.  However, we do know where he ended up and I am today contacting the Geraldton Historical Society and see if they have any local knowledge there.  But thanks for thinking of me - and I am closing this as completed although I will post again if I find anything else about this couple.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 July 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydiaann

Hopefully you will have some success with the historical societies. Best wishes.

Regards
Jennaya

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 July 18 05:25 BST (UK) »
 :)

One of my elderly living relatives was a  librarian who was part of the team that set up the Kingswood offices of the NSW State Archives during its separation from the NSW State Library.  Once that had been completed, he was seconded to Canberra and the National Library of Australia.  He is not a member of RChat, but he regularly follows threads that I contribute to.   He has been on the phone to me several times over the weekend, and again just now. 

This time, he is very pleased, as has positive info to share.   

Eve was also noted here:

https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/934233?lookfor=mingenew&offset=34&max=39

He adds that that mentions not just an author’s name, but also, a street address for the publisher and my rellie says PLEASE FOLLOW UP and let us know if you are successful.  NLA is usually very helpful. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 July 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydiaann,
Here is another death notice for Eve

CRAVEN (KARSLAKE) Eve:

A gracious English lady who was the trusted and loyal secretary to the late
Sir Eric Smart OVE of Erregulla Springs, Mingenew. Author of several books.
Wife of Jim Craven (dec). Long term resident of Mingenew and
Geraldton. Helen Cooksey (nee Smart).

The two women co-authored a book https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/33031151?q&versionId=40417014

Do you have access to the other two books which Eve wrote?

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland