Author Topic: Family Search web site  (Read 5531 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Family Search web site
« on: Wednesday 27 June 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
I have not used this site for a while and was surprised to see that Ihad to log in before I did a search.I went to log in or register part and they asked for my age and date of birth and whether I was a member of the Mormons.My friend said she had the same trouble and there were other questions asked too which I didn’t bother to look at.
Has anyone else experienced this
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search web site
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
I registered ages ago and have never had any trouble with the site.  I don't recall being asked any questions; certainly no religious questions.  No religion has ever been mentioned to me at FamilySearch, even when I have contacted their help personnel.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
I have not used this site for a while and was surprised to see that Ihad to log in before I did a search.I went to log in or register part and they asked for my age and date of birth and whether I was a member of the Mormons.My friend said she had the same trouble and there were other questions asked too which I didn’t bother to look at.
Has anyone else experienced this
Ringrose

Yes, although I had seen that registration was going to be required,  I decided not to register when I saw the questions. 

Lisa

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
I certainly didn't give them personal info when I registered.
There's nothing to stop you lying through your teeth to register, and it's such a good resource, you seem to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

They only thing they know of me is my email address.
Are you lot sure that their survey isn't optional? I don't remember being asked anything about religion
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
I certainly didn't give them personal info when I registered.

Neither did I . Like Pauline all they know of me is my email.

You are losing out on an excellent resource if you choose not to register.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
I don't remember having to provide date of birth but then I've had an account with them for 9-10 years, ever since they started film ordering online.  I suspect the reason for asking whether you are a member of the LDS is because church members have separate accounts which have wider access.  Personally if I was creating one now I'd give an incorrect date of birth.  I've done it on the odd forum as I don't think it should be used but many still do.  As long as you are over the age of 18 years (or whatever the minimum age is), there shouldn't be any issue.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Several months ago it became required that you register a free account. I dont mind. It is a great website.

And they have a catalogue of resources for each county in the UK and Ireland, which has many records that you never knew are online, scanned copies of original records. If there is a "camera" symbol next to the record list such as "Shoreditch Baptisms 1780-1800" you can view online any time. If the camera has a key above it, only LDS members can view online, and if it is a "reel" it is available at a Family History Centre. Unfortunately many Suffolk and Durham records on their site have the "key above the camera" symbol.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
The key symbol indicates that the record can be viewed at an LDS centre, either on microfilm or digitally if you have an account. I spoke to our local centre this morning because I am planning a trip there to view such records. I was told I can download onto my USB stick as long as I am logged into my account
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 19:14 BST (UK) »
You have to be logged into your account since December to view anything at an FHC anyway.  In the past you could access the restricted material at the FHCs without logging in and download as well.  That changed when they implemented the login account policy.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day