Author Topic: Family Search web site  (Read 5526 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search web site
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 June 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
It's more than just a limited number of datasets.
Yes, some counties and records are locked up tight, but you never know what digitized films might be "open" on there until you look. I'm not sure they know themselves!
And of course not all microfilms have been digitized (and some that appear to have been do not have camera icons at the moment!)
What is it that you are not seeing?

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 June 18 22:23 BST (UK) »

And of course not all microfilms have been digitized (and some that appear to have been do not have camera icons at the moment!)

This has been going on for some months.  Some were resolved at the beginning of February in a major site upgrade but some that were updated last week with DGS numbers (yes I'm sad I've been checking the collection for a while for those that hadn't been digitised) are inaccessible.  Unfortunately if you raise it with Familysearch Support they will not engage on the subject and tell you that its because of contractual reasons but in many cases I can't think it is.  Many of those with DGS numbers (so digitised) but are inaccessible have microfilm copies available at some FHCs worldwide so I can't see any reason why they are restricted in digital format.  Others are amongst collections where many of the consecutive microfilm numbers are available to view at FHCs but others are restricted.  As the microfilm numbers are consecutive they must have been digitised at the same time under the same agreement so it looks like someone has made a mistake and indeed as I've already mentioned some were made available earlier this year in a major upgrade having previously been digitised but unavailable.

I'm currently making a nuisance of myself trying to get someone other than their "Helpdesk" support to respond about it, whether I get anywhere remains to be seen.  I know some LDS Church Member Volunteers at some FHCs in the UK have been trying to raise the issue for months but are now getting ignored so am not holding out much hope of a response.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 June 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update, smudwisk. And good luck with your investigations into the problem.
John

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 June 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Doubt I'll get very far as they seem to have their head in the sand on the issue.  I, along with others, just find it really frustrating now that you can't even order in the microfilms to view. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 June 18 07:17 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know why they changed it and now require registration?

I know it has been compulsory for a while now. I left it till the last minute to register and find it a bit of a hassle to have to sign in (and I always forget my password).

I think it happened when FindMyPast got it's finger in the pie.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 June 18 07:32 BST (UK) »

I know it has been compulsory for a while now. I left it till the last minute to register and find it a bit of a hassle to have to sign in (and I always forget my password).

I would imagine that it had more to do with the fact that some records can only be viewed by  Church members and that was the only way they could restrict it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 June 18 09:54 BST (UK) »

I would imagine that it had more to do with the fact that some records can only be viewed by  Church members and that was the only way they could restrict it.

Thanks SR and rosie.

Has it always been the case that some records are only viewable by church members? And if so, why?

What do FindMyPast have to do with them?  :-\

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 June 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
I think that the restrictions of 'viewable by Church members only' are put on by the Local Records offices that hold the original document that the LDS have copied/filmed.

I believe that these records are primarily for the use of LDS members to help them locate 'dead' members of their family so they can be received into the Mormon church and were filmed for that purpose. We are lucky that they also make some of them free to view for the rest of us.  :)

Both Ancestry and findmypast use their transcripts.  I don't know what the 'connection' is to F M P though I am aware that the LDS do give links to some records that they don't have but are available to view on F M P with a subscription to the latter.  No doubt someone will know the answer to this
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 June 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts rosie. I realise that the records are for the use of the LDS church members - still seems odd that they would let us non believers have free access to some yet keep others private.