Author Topic: Archibald Graham 2 April 1888-19 Jan 1933  (Read 1519 times)

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald Graham 2 April 1888-19 Jan 1933
« on: Wednesday 27 June 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for anyone who has Archibald in their family tree.  Archibald served with the 8th Mounted Rifles in WW1 and served in France for just over a year.  He was sent back to Canada in 1918 with chronic arthritis and asthma. We have found his attestation papers and his service record which states his father was James and that he was born in Hawthorne, Ottawa,   Any help in finding anything out about him and/or a photo would be greatly appreciated.

K8T

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Graham 2 April 1888-19 Jan 1933
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Just a couple of items.  His Attestation Papers say he was born in Hawthorne ON which is outside of Milton west of Toronto.  It also says his birth was March 1898.  However this chap died 08 Aug 1918 in France.  There is a newspaper clipping.

Is it possible you have the wrong Attestation Papers or was your Archibald's full name Archibald Frank Edward Graham?

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 18 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just had a look at the military record for Archibald Graham, born 2 april 1888 in Hawthorn, Carleton, Ontario.... he was invalided back to Canada on 8-10-1918.   He was discharged 6-1-1919 and proposed residence was in Ottawa.   Service record has a note that he died Jan 10 1933 (see page 43...)

Record also says that he had rheumatic fever in Regina Saskatchewan in 1912.  So, he must have lived there/travelled there at some point.

Page 57 says he is Archibald Hamilton Graham, though I think he is just Archibald Graham for most of the rest of the record (I skimmed it, so didn't examine it in great detail).

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=423911

Must be another Archibald Graham who died on Aug 8 1918. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 18 04:15 BST (UK) »
There is an Archibald Harry Graham who died in Vancouver on Jan 10, 1933... I wonder if he is your man?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m9r/

RK

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
Well now there's a coincidence; two Hawthorn's, two Archie Grahams. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
Familysearch.com gives the information that Archibald Harry Graham (who died in Vancouver on 10 Jan 1933) was born in Ottawa on 2 April 1894.  It also states that he was married and that his father's name was George Graham.

Offline LindaGW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 June 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
There is also a marriage record for an Archibald Graham in Vancouver on 18 Dec 1930.  He married Alice Hunter and his parents were James Graham and Matilda Boyd.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m9u/

Linda

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 June 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Looking at Archibald Hamilton Graham......

Archie appears to have assigned his CEF pay to a Mrs Annie Ellard. There is a 1902 marriage of an Annie Matilda Graham with father James Graham and mother Matilda Boyd to a John Ellard.

It looks like Archie told a bit of a fib about his age when he signed up. I believe this is the family in the 1891 census. Archie is listed as A Hamilton age 8, Annie M is 16.

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1891&op=img&id=30953_148169-00134

You can search for the family in other Canadian censuses for free at this link to Library and Archives Canada.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline K8T

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 June 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Many thanks to all who have answered, I really appreciate the time you have given to the query.  We had already found the service record and more research today revealed his full name as Archibald Hamilton Graham.  We also discovered the marriage in 1930.  We also now know that he was a policeman prior to enlisting and have found a poster of officers photos taken prior to the war, unfortunately it does not enlarge very well.  You are quite right polarbear, he was quite economical with the truth when asked about his age. And you have given us a lead to a possible descendant via his sister, thanks

We have also found a photo of his grave from Find a Grave. 

Just need to find family descendants now.

Many thanks

K8T