Author Topic: Appledore  (Read 669 times)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Appledore
« on: Thursday 28 June 18 04:17 BST (UK) »
Folks,
Thomas Appledore dies 19 Oct 1841 at Penrith and is buried at St Stephen the Martyr.I have not been able to find record of a will though being a former convict i was not surprised.
Searching Trove i found several references to what appears to be a clearance sale of horses,cattle and produce.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=appledore&l-state=New+South+Wales&l-decade=184&l-year=1841
Would it have been common for the wife to assume ownership without a will?
Eric
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Appledore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 18 04:37 BST (UK) »
well some of the newspaper notices say that the auction is "by orders of the executors",  so I think there was a will somewhere.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 18 05:16 BST (UK) »
The Executor was John TINDALE, of Penrith as per the following notice ...

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230393031  Govt Gaz. 30 Oct 1849. (across two pages)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 18 05:36 BST (UK) »
He could have also died intestate and an executor may have been appointed by application of a Letter of Administration which is an authority to administer the estate of someone who has died without making a will.  I possibly haven't explained that very clearly :-\

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 18 05:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all.
Cando,your explanation reads right to me.
After a letter of administration is granted,would the matter be dealt with as if a will had been found?
Eric
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 June 18 06:03 BST (UK) »
If an Intestacy or otherwise, it would have been dealt with at NSW Supreme Court, Eccs Division, and the person appointed to administer was the Executor ...

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/agency/1061

Description
This series includes papers for both testate and intestate estates both before and after the establishment of the Curator of Intestate Estates in 1847. Intestate papers in the series do not belong with the numbered series of Curator's Case Papers (6/3481-910), and their original order was disrupted before being transferred as State archives.
Due to their miscellaneous nature they have been boxed chronologically and indexed by name, regardless of form, whether part of a numbered sequence or not, etc. The index is available in the Western Sydney reading room (COD516).
The papers comprise the following: oaths, petitions, caveats, affidavits, notices to creditors, lists of accounts current, precipes for citation, letters of administration, copies of wills, some correspondence and other miscellaneous papers.

The series is not complete, and the information varies from cases to case. An index entry may signify either a bundle of papers including a copy of a will, or it may record only a creditor's account of money owed to him by the deceased.

(X953-54, 6/4185-97). 2 vols, 14 boxes.

Note:
This description is extracted from Concise Guide to the State Archives of New South Wales, 3rd Edition 2000.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.