Author Topic: Foulkes in England  (Read 586 times)

Offline adenshillito

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foulkes in England
« on: Thursday 28 June 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Looking at a records related to Ellen Foulkes (b.1791) and gives her father Samuel as being from Tranmorc which is likely in Bebington, Cheshire, England. A few refs. to it on web, not a lot tho. This line stops about here (1790) in time. She later marries a John Newton. Just looking for fresh images here for looking further or to hear from anyone who is looking at the same line from some other direction.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Foulkes in England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
I'm not researching this family, but may I suggest that the place name is more likely to be Tranmere?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
A probable marriage for Samuel could be 1st January 1788, Liverpool, St Anne Richmond, to Gaynor Highcock.
A Gainer Foulks [sic] is buried in Bebington St. Andrews on the 13th September 1808 described the wife of Samuel Foulks of Tranmere.
Hope that's a point in the right direction for further research.

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 June 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
I should add Samuel is described as a Mariner (ties in with Tranmere) on the marriage entry & it was by Banns.
{This record was provided by Liverpool and South West Lancashire Family History Society in Index form only}

Samuel was buried at St. Andrews Bebington on the 8th March 1812 {described as of Tranmere}.

Offline adenshillito

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 June 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these pointers.
The place name in records seems to read as Tranmorc however Transmere was my first translation and was within a reasonable distance of the parish.