Author Topic: David Gawthrop  (Read 530 times)

Offline Gibby1968

• My email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Gawthrop
« on: Thursday 28 June 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
I am trying to help my friend find her ancestor David Gawthrop.

He was born c1766 in Wilsden, Bradford, West Riding of Yorkshire and married Elizabeth Thornton in 1787. 

On the marriage licence she has it says he was 21 giving a birth year of 1766 but she has since found another document that says he was 27 in 1787 so that means he was born c1760.  This document also mentions his father but doesn't name him!

I have searched the NBI and found loads of people with this name and varients but nothing fits.  Also searched Find A Grave for local cemeteries/burial grounds but there is no David Gawthrop.

I'm sorry I don't have much information but I am trying to help my friend and I would appreciate some help from you all here, thanks.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Gawthrop
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 June 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
On the marriage licence she has it says he was 21 giving a birth year of 1766 but she has since found another document that says he was 27 in 1787 so that means he was born c1760.  This document also mentions his father but doesn't name him!

Marriage licences often give ages in the form "21 years and upwards", and these sometimes end up in databases and indexes as simply "21". I suggest checking the original of the marriage licence, if possible, to see if this has happened here.

Until you can do this, I suspect 1760 might be nearer the truth.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibby1968

• My email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Gawthrop
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 June 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
That is on my friend's to do list :)