Author Topic: Family of Garrett FITZGERALD near Killarney  (Read 7893 times)

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Garrett FITZGERALD near Killarney
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 June 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
I'm totally confused now.
Are the Fitzgerald's RC or COI?

Yes!

No!

;D ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 June 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
I'm totally confused now.
Are the Fitzgerald's RC or COI?

Yes!

No!

;D ;D

Oxford Dictionary of National Biography entry for Mr. Justice Robert Day of Kerry  (Born Dublin)
 :-
"Day's second wife, whom he married on 21 June 1824, was Mary, daughter of Bartholomew Fitzgerald MD of Brandon, co. Cork, and a Roman Catholic. This lady, ostensibly a companion to his first wife, was the mother of two sons fathered by Day during the currency of his first marriage. These boys, both of whom took Anglican orders, assumed the surname Day in accordance with the terms of their father's will."

Offline Aus_Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 July 18 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

First, thank you all for your prompt and helpful responses.  I'm new to researching within Ireland and the many links you've provided will be very useful now and in the future.

Also, my apologies for not responding sooner to your questions - some family matters arose requiring my attention.  I will answer some questions now and provide further clarification as I absorb your posts.

To Hallmark
Religion - All those who came to NSW are Roman Catholic.   I expect Garrett senior and Honora would also be RC.  Thanks for your landed estates link.

To Sinann
Thank you for the link to Parish Registers.  I see that Killarney records go back much earlier and will check out these in case the family moved around.

To Dathai
Re your comment: "Hmm quite a few around" ...
Yes, my earlier searches of more common websites revealed many Garrett Fitzgeralds and Honora Flahives but without information useful in filtering out the unrelated ones.  Thanks for the many links.

However, I think you may have found something by using the alternate "Gerard" spelling of "Garrett" to find the mother "Honora Flahive" & the location GURRANE which I see is just north of TRALEE.  Garrett junior's 1902 NSW Catholic Journal obituary stated that he was a "native of Tralee" but his 1859 Berrima NSW parish marriage certificate states his birthplace as Killarney. All "unknown" on his NSW civil marriage certificates.  I will check it through.

To you all
I believe the connection to the Rev'd Fitzgerald-Day and his high standing is significant.  Garrett junior was supposed to have arrived here in 1858 (44 "years in colony" on his 1902 death cert) and, within months, been appointed to the NSW Police in Berrima ahead of a serving Constable with good record from the nearby larger town of Goulburn.  I had concluded that Garrett must have had a pretty good reference to achieve this.  The news report of his appointment stated that as Garrett was "so worthy", other applicants "could not be considered".

I have to do some digging and calculate the years but it's possible that the mother of the Rev'd Fitzgerald-Day is related in some way to Garrett senior.

Once again, many thanks,
AUS_Mike
Howard, Jarrett, Parkinson, Conn, Bell, Burnley, Sample, Roberts, Fitzgerald, Verdon, White

Offline Aus_Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 July 18 06:13 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Sorry, I forgot to mention ...

In another NSW Archives collection (ship's muster), John Fitzgerald's 1861 address is "Lahy Co. Kerry".

I've checked Google Maps & the Irish Historical Names Database & Wikipedia's Townlands of Co Kerry but can't find a match. 

Do you have suggestions?  John was listed as being able to read & write when this was recorded.

I have attached a screen snap of this with surrounding addresses for comparison.  (My PC just shows "" when I try to insert an image directly in the post.  Must be my setup.)

Regards,
AUS_Mike
Howard, Jarrett, Parkinson, Conn, Bell, Burnley, Sample, Roberts, Fitzgerald, Verdon, White

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 July 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it could be a misheard Faha.
There is more than one but the townlands of Faha East and Faha West are not too far from Killarney and Beauford.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 July 18 09:02 BST (UK) »

I believe the connection to the Rev'd Fitzgerald-Day and his high standing is significant.  Garrett junior was supposed to have arrived here in 1858 (44 "years in colony" on his 1902 death cert) and, within months, been appointed to the NSW Police in Berrima ahead of a serving Constable with good record from the nearby larger town of Goulburn.  I had concluded that Garrett must have had a pretty good reference to achieve this.  The news report of his appointment stated that as Garrett was "so worthy", other applicants "could not be considered".

I have to do some digging and calculate the years but it's possible that the mother of the Rev'd Fitzgerald-Day is related in some way to Garrett senior.

Once again, many thanks,
AUS_Mike

Day applied to combine the 2 family crests so the mother of the Rev'd Fitzgerald-Day was entitled to use her family crest.... in order to use a family crest one has to record and prove lineage so the Fitzgerald lineage is most probably registered in  Genealogical Office.

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 July 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
The official spelling of Gurrane is Garraun and it is next to Ballyfinnane as per https://www.townlands.ie/kerry/magunihy/molahiffe/kilnanare/garraun/ that's why Garrett and Honora married in Castlemaine.