Author Topic: Can anyone find Bertie Parker (b Abingdon 1884) after 1891?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find Bertie Parker (b Abingdon 1884) after 1891?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 June 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

A Bertie Parker aged 7 and an L K Parker (male) aged 9 departed Liverpool 7.11.1891 for Portland aboard the Sardinian

The above Bertie Parker was a 'British Home Child' one of a party of 40 boys sent out by 'Barnardo Homes', also known as Dr Barnardo's Homes.. They departed from Liverpool as above to Portland, Maine, USA before entering Canada via Montreal on the way to Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Link to the record here: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/immigration-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=98824

Further info here about two further records for Bertie in issues of a magazine (published by the Canadian Branch of Dr Barnardo's Homes) in 1897 & 1900 here: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/home-children-1869-1930/immigration-records/Pages/list.aspx?Surname=Parker&GivenName=Bertie&

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David

Thank you for all the information on the Home Children, I had seen the passenger list, but as he seemed to be travelling with an older brother (LK) which my Bertie didn't have, I had not followed it through. But it could be a coincidence and two unrelated Parkers in same group of 40 children and their names are consecutive because they were listed in alphabetical order. I think I will try to identify some of the other children and look at geographical spread. Of course the Bertie on the passenger list could be an abbreviation for Herbert, Bertram or Albert, whereas my Bertie was registered as Bertie.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 June 18 09:43 BST (UK) »
L K Parker could be Leonard Kirby Parker mmn Kirby born Bradford 1883

There is also a Leslie Kirk Parker, 1881 Dec 1b 59 Pancras (No "mmn")

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 June 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Leslie is the most likely. He's in a Barnardo's home in MEOT in 1891 as are Jesse Smith and Bertie Avery. Two others on the passenger list, Cornelius Weston and P S (Percival Stanley) Adlington are in a Barnardo's home in Bethnal Green.  Probably won't be able to track all 40 boys down, some names are too common.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 June 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
John Nott and Edward Manning in the Barnardo's Home at Meot