Author Topic: William and Margaret Round Gosforth.  (Read 1996 times)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William and Margaret Round Gosforth.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 June 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
Again many thank's all,and thankyou RiverTyne Lass whenever you have time to check would be much
appreciated.
Regard's Steve.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 July 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
I will check for burials at the end of this week and hopefully if I find these I should then be able to check for possible death notices which could  provide actual dates of death.

Will be back in touch later this week. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 July 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Today I have found your Great x 2 Grandmother at 'Gosforth Parish Church' according to death notice in the Evening Chronicle.

Unfortunately, I have run out of time as I spent quite a long time (mistakenly error on my part) looking at cemeteries on microfilm at the library. However, now I know where Margaret is, I expect her husband and son will likely be at the same place.  It may not be several weeks possibly when I can fit in an archives trip for you to find William and Lorenzo (and possible death notices) but I will do this as soon as I am next able.

This is the notice:

Evening Chronicle - December 14, 1917

'ROUND. - On December 12, aged 68, Margaret, widow of the late William Henry Round.  To be interred at Gosforth Parish Church on Saturday 15th, at 3.30 pm.'

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
Just to add that St Nicholas, Station Road/Church Road  is  Gosforth Parish Church.

I put up the website link in Reply #5.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, I know.  I don't know why but I thought burials finished here at the Church circa 1850s and moved to the cemetery.

Oh well.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
I've seen much more recent ones than 1850 there when I've walked around the burial ground. It's only a few minutes from me.  Are you thinking of St Nicholas Cathedral?

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Sooner than expected I have been able to find this for you Steve -

Evening Chronicle - May 20, 1914

'ROUND.- At 70, Station Road, South Gosforth, on the 18th inst., William Henry, the dearly beloved husband of Margaret Round, late of Chester-le-Street.  To be interred at Gosforth Parish Church on Thursday at 2.30.'

I will look for Lorenzo for you at some point in the next few weeks when I can fit this in.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
Just saw your post Gadget.  Yes, I think I got mixed up with the Cathedral.  Never mind at least I found William and Margaret in the end.

Perhaps if you might come across their graves for Steve one day when you might be walking through there, Gadget.  I am sure you will let him know if you ever uncover a stone with an inscription.  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 July 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
Out of interest,  a bit of Gosforth History:

I see that a Rev Robert Henry Brandling was both vicar and owner of the South Gosforth coal mine and built the wagon way from here to the Tyne.

The Brandlings were a prominent  family from 1500s onwards:

They were a wealthy family of merchants and land and coal owners whose family had risen to power in Northumbria during the Middle Ages. Sir John Brandling served as Sheriff of Newcastle  in 1505 and as Mayor in from 1509 to 1520. Subsequent Brandlings trod much the same career path gradually gaining more and more land – and ever greater interest in the lucrative business of coal mining. It was the Brandlings who constructed most of the wagon ways linking the pits around Newcastle and enabling coal to be taken down to the docks on the river.

Charles Brandling was High Sheriff of Northumberland in 1781 and also  Member of Parliament for Newcastle. built a new mansion at Gosforth House and this house became the family seat . His son Charles John Brandling  (the one who paid Dobson for this church) was also  was MP  for Newcastle. He it was who paid George Stephenson for the invention of the Geordie lamp – the miner’s safety lamp In the end over speculation – does it ring any modern bells? – caused him to sell off most of the mining interest and to move away from Gosforth which, thanks not only to mining but also to farming and by now a growing interest in commerce and the professions  continued to expand.

Also, of course, the Brandling village area in Jesmond is named for them.

Gadget

RTL - if Steve could find the lair/plot numbers, I could certainly check them out.