Author Topic: Names on a parish record  (Read 1184 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Names on a parish record
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 June 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Brenda, possibly something else to look at:

On the line Gadget found another 'w', the mother's name looks like 'Bess Conan', but if you could prove that her name was in fact 'Cowan', I think the formation of those letters would support 'your' line reading 'Lawe', spelt with an 'e' at the end. Conversely if you could prove it was 'Conan' it probably consigns 'Lawe' to the bin.

I had a bit of a look but without dates/places it was too hard.

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 June 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth, I think it is Lawe. 

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 June 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I looked at the mother's name in the Owen entry and think it could be Conner as well. Looking at the other entries on the page, I couldn't get past the fact that all the n's slope downward which would enforce Lane instead of Law ow Lawe. So I tried another approach and did a search on FindMyPast in the same parish. There are 75 Lanes and 0 Laws and 0 Lawes. I'm going to have to accept that the name is Lane. If only the typewriter would have been around in 1841!

Thanks to you all for your help   :)
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY