Author Topic: Henry COLLINS (Hampshire) Relationship to Greenvile COLLINS (1643-1694) sought  (Read 2290 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My ancestor was Henry COLLINS (b. 1792 in Alverstoke, Hampshire), son of George COLLINS (b. 1768 at Alverstoke, Hampshire) & Margaret nee FORBES. Henry was the brother to my direct ancestor, my ggg-grandmother Susanna Fanny Collins born at Portsea in 1811. Henry, a Royal Navy Commander was according to the Maritime Biographical Index a descendant of Greenvile COLLINS, a prominent hydrographer & Commander of the Royal Yacht during Charles II's reign. I know George's parents were William COLLINS & Hannah nee Ayling. Greenvile married an Eleanor nee HOCKER at St Lukes, Chelsea, London in 1679. Seeking any information showing exactly how my COLLINS line descends from Greenvile COLLINS? Any help much appreciated. Thanks, Rob

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry COLLINS (Hampshire) Relationship to Greenvile COLLINS (1643-1694) sought
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
Have you found out the names of all the children of Greenville and Eleanor?

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Henry COLLINS (Hampshire) Relationship to Greenvile COLLINS (1643-1694) sought
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 June 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
According to familysearch.org they had the following children:

Isabella (1680), Barbara (1681), Greenvile junior (1683), Elizabeth (1684), James (1686), America (1687) & John (1688). The children were christened at St. Margaret, Westminster in London.

I have no idea which son produced my line of the family so am flying blind with this research!

Cheers

Rob

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 June 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
Have you found out anything about William Collins/Hannah Ayling - place and year of marriage?

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks chempat for your interest. Yes I know that William Collins married Hannah Ayling on 26th December, 1758. I could not determine however from where William originated.Hopefully a distant Collins cousin can fill in the gaps! Chrs Rob

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Just to add that William and Hannah's marriage was in Alverstoke,Hampshire in 1758.

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks chempat forgot to add that!! Marriage entry does not show other details..at least none showing on familysearch..witnesses etc Can you suggest ideas on how to pursue this Collins line? Chrs Rob

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Various trees on Ancestry have William born 1730, Alverstoke, with parents William and Ann.  They suggest - presumably just a guess - that William senior was born in 1700, place unknown.

Presumably William,about 1730, Alverstoke, was the grandson of one of these : Greenvile junior (1683),  James (1686)or John (1688), so William senior would have to be born slightly after 1700.

Have you looked at other online trees, just to see what is suggested?

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thanks for your thoughts chempat. I have had a brief look at other trees but will certainly need to review these & try to follow up Greenvile's sons descendants. The difficulty of course are the common names & finding the London-Hampshire linkage too. Rob