Author Topic: using dna to try and find unknown grandfather  (Read 800 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
Re: using dna to try and find unknown grandfather
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 July 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
Fingers crossed - I think I've found my great grandfather after 2 months of checking, matching, paper trailing, etc. (and over 60 years after hearing about him!)

Lots of hard work but I found a handful of close shared  matches (125 cM to 56 cM) all with a particular surname that I didn't recognise. All werethose listed  from the wider Birmingham area, which links to my great grandmother's whereabouts 1862-1871. Only 2 trees were available and, in the end, I traced one match who only had himself and parents on a none linked tree, with only his father mentioned. He didn't share the dominant name on the tree but I checked his father's marriage and found that his mother had the dominant name. I then traced the family back and found the link to the others and finally to the probably great grandfather.

Nothing certain but very very promising.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 July 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
That's great, you must be so pleased 😀

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 July 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
I've got to do a lot more checks but I think 'pleased' is an understatement  ;D

I found that using the shared matches  was the most useful and also  checking if there were any trees that the match hadn't linked to their DNA. I also had a pretty good paper trail for my great grandmother already.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Hmootm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 July 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, that's the other problem! My Nan's family were immigrants from Russia so I've not been able to get back very far on that line either 😓

I live in hope that one day, a close match will appear! Fingers crossed 😀