Author Topic: The Alexandra - Clapham  (Read 898 times)

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
The Alexandra - Clapham
« on: Saturday 30 June 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any idea where I can find comprehensive history details on this building, particularly around 1921. I have found this mentioned in a book that I am using to research some possible Greek relatives and I have found who was the licensee in the early 1900's but I can't be sure if that was the owner or not. Any clues would be great, TIA.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Alexandra - Clapham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 June 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
There's a potted history here:
https://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/Clapham/AlexandraHotel.shtml

1919 shows the landlord as Alfred William Crow?
I suspect your people were simply residing there?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 June 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes I found Alfred as living there in 1919 too with his family and is listed as the licensed victualler.

I am trying to rule this hotel out more than anything as in 1922 my Grandmother was born in Marylebone but she was illegitimate. The only information given by her mother was " Your father was  Greek" and " the son of the hotel owner" that she was working at. Recent family dna tests have thrown up matches which indeed are Greek and they have given a few names to work on. It's finding a Greek owned hotel in that area in 1921 that is proving to be difficult so I bought this old book which lists Greek companies and people. The Alexandra was a hotel name given to us as a possibility many years ago along with Adelphi.
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 June 18 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I guess finding the greek names listed at The Alexandra was quite exciting but there was also the Alexandra Hotel near Hyde Park Corner which might tie in better with the birth being registered in Marylebone.
I did some searches at the London Gazette website, I was thinking there might be some evidence of the hotel being bought or sold, but I came up with nothing. Perhaps try yourself with any names you might have as probable.
It sounds like quite a task, wish you luck..
Rebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 20:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that Rebel. I too have searched on and off for years for some kind of link but sadly the one census that will give me answers I hope is still years away even if they release it. I shall keep searching but I will definitely look into that other one a bit closer too!
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London