Author Topic: Old russian script  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Fnna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old russian script
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 July 18 01:04 BST (UK) »
Bridegroom - a widower (widower since 2 (14) September 1889) Daniel Bloch, a watchmaker, 34 years old, living under the number 778, born in Wiln, now a permanent resident of Warsaw, a son of a shopkeeper Movi Leib and Gitly, nee Erdberg, Bloch, both alive, living in city Wiln.

Bride - a maiden Ester Dvora Finkeilsztein, with her husband, 21 years old, living under the number 778, born in Bielsk, a daughter of a merchant David and Gitly, nee Finkeilsztein, Finkeilsztein, both alive, living in city Bielsk.

I'm not sure about the names of cities. For Daniel it looks like Wiln/ Viln, that should be Vilnius now. For Ester it looks like Bielsk for me, but there used an old spelling, I'm not sure.

The surname Финкельштейн can be spelled as Finkelstein.

Hope it makes sense for you.
I'm a researcher in subject of White Russian emigres (first wave of Russian immigration after the Russian Revolution of 1917) in Ireland. I'll be happy to know about other Russian graves in Ireland.

Offline keithSt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 July 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Fnna

thank you
In the first post, translation mentioned Ester was a 'widow' but in the second it says 'maiden'.

I think if Finkelstein was the maiden name, then this may just be yet another red herring. I wouldn't have thought there would be that many Ester Dvora Finkelstein's but perhaps the name was more common than one would expect at that time.

The Ester Dvora I was following was born in the Warsaw region circa 1875 and maiden name (nee) was Regensberg. Her fathers name was Elias or Elihu Sholom (although her grandfather was David - we think). She married a Jacov at some point and had 2 children. The next record I have is that she was listed as dead in a WW2 camp but the record says her husband at the time was a Daniel (but all the other detail in that record is a match).

So unless this was her second marriage, then perhaps it is a different Ester!

thanks again
Keith

Offline Fnna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 July 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry Keith, I confused you. I reread the paper, Ester is called a maiden there.
I'm a researcher in subject of White Russian emigres (first wave of Russian immigration after the Russian Revolution of 1917) in Ireland. I'll be happy to know about other Russian graves in Ireland.

Offline keithSt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 July 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks and of course - doh!!!

But it also says daughter of David and gitly nee finklestein....

So unless it was custom for a widow to adopt her first husbands parents....
or maybe facts on records were recorded as badly then as they are today!

So I’m not sure if this is a link in the chain or not.

Thanks for sticking with it though
K