Author Topic: Pochin of Barkby burials  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Pochin of Barkby burials
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
There you go.. I can give you the phone number and you can arrange a visit and they will let you inside.

I have found two of mine outside.  Which I am pleased about. :)  - but surprisingly no Poochin in any variation of the name.

take care

xin

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
I think the Pochins are more likely to be inside - they were/are quite a wealthy family. None of that wealth passed down to me  ;D I'd appreciate the phone number if you could send me a pm. That is fortunate that you found two people outside!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Yes - it was lovely - can't beat a peaceful churchyard. 

Got a few headstones for --'find a grave' too

some really clear ones.

Shame the money always diminishes as it did with my Clarkes -- bless em.. so many children.

I know the name Pochin - but then I am born and bred Leicester - so that could be it.   MY OH never heard of it...

off now.

will pm you the number
later

xin

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
Yes - it was lovely - can't beat a peaceful churchyard. 

Got a few headstones for --'find a grave' too

some really clear ones.

Shame the money always diminishes as it did with my Clarkes -- bless em.. so many children.

I know the name Pochin - but then I am born and bred Leicester - so that could be it.   MY OH never heard of it...

off now.

will pm you the number
later

xin

Same here Xin, I used to ride my horse on the Pochin estate
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
Yes absolutely beautiful area 10 years ago :)  ---   lots of new builds now :(

xin

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
When we used to live in Barkby Thorpe, we sometimes had a Sunday stroll along Brookside in Barkby. The children used to talk about a Pokin (Pochin) Bridge. I had a look to see if I could find any information but couldn't. They may have been talking about the one near the school.

However, I found that there is one in South Wigston and this site has a picture of the bridge and the nameplate.

https://canalplan.org.uk/place/g7lb

Also Here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5175720

David

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, they were in the Wigston area by one branch. That's how I'm linked to them!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart