Author Topic: Pochin of Barkby burials  (Read 2039 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pochin of Barkby burials
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
Sadly no, I've never visited. I've only really visited Leicester and the Wigston area, as that's where my grandparents lived. I'd love to see some photos! That's very kind of you. Thanks.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
 Many of the references in the Leicestershire Pedigrees are followed by the reference M.I. which I assume means that the information was taken from the memorial inscription.

Information on Barkby Church states that there are Pochin memorials in the north aisle. Elizabeth's death is given as 7 Aug. 1652 but, for George, only 'Oct. 1669,' is visible. This seems to be incorrect as the Administration is given as 1668 and the inventory also states 1668.

I would imagine that all of the memorials are still legible.

David

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, and one memorial reads the 31st of October 1669! Similarly, I found one memorial in Rutland that gave a date of death of 1510, when in fact the person is recorded as dying in 1508 or 1509.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
OK 

We will pop over there  in the next few days and have a look for you.

xin

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I really do appreciate it.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Well because my lovely OH is off to work in the next few days, we went along today to Barkby.

I have a few Lewins in there as well.

My husband took some pics which we will have to wait for. 

I am sorry the Church was locked - so not able to get inside.  However we took down the church wardens number. 

So if you are too far away - maybe we can go again sometime.

I have one or two pics  but NOTHING outside with the name of Pochin.  or similar.

When we left - we were driving through - what was once a lovely village !! and it was nothing more than a road totally jam packed with CARS  -- I presume it was kicking kids out of school time. 
As we drove past we did notice the School name was ----
Pochin School  -- couldn't stop to take a pic due to traffic.

I will shrink a couple of the church and add for you in a while

time for a cuppa

xin

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Well that's fortunate! I look forward to seeing them. I live in Northamptonshire so I can't get there too easily, but I plan on visiting one day.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
just a couple of small ones.

xin

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
Lovely photos. Thanks!