Author Topic: Mclaren-Mullan-Murray of Ballymoney & Paisley  (Read 870 times)

Offline adenshillito

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mclaren-Mullan-Murray of Ballymoney & Paisley
« on: Sunday 01 July 18 06:21 BST (UK) »
One solid brick-wall that I have never shifted an inch backward is my Mclarens of Ireland. From family lore and records we trace them back from New Zealand where they arrived in 1875 to a wedding record in Greenock in 1864, beyond that they were believed to be Irish famers at Ballymoney. The poorhouse records at Paisley show their presence but little beyond that. Suspected birth dates, nil else. The earliest couple were James Mclaren and wife Agnes Murray both born in the first decade of the 19th century, either in Scotland or Ireland. They might have had two sons, a James and the John to which I am related. The poorhouse records suggest James married a Catherine Connell, and of my own line I know from the record of Greenock from 1864 that John married the Scottish-born daughter Ellen of an Irish couple, Patrick Mullan and Margaret Lennard. That seems like a bit of information but it stops there and the history of the family in either Scotland or Ireland goes mute. I found a James and Agnes in a 1860 census and from the 1864 marriage record I know she died before the wedding of that date. But just who they were and from where exactly and when alludes me. Any hints?

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mclaren-Mullan-Murray of Ballymoney & Paisley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Presumably, John's 1864 marriage record names his mother as Agnes MURRAY deceased, and his father as James McLAREN?  And is this matched by information on his death record?

What is both his and his father's occupation recorded as in 1864? And did John give a specific address in 1864?

I've found other information posted on  line… some that suggested that John was born abt 1840 in Kirkintollch, Dunbartonshire… and this I see matches the 1871 Census (below). He died August 1898 in Dunedin NZ, recorded age 66 -  which indicates a birth of around 1832.

ISSUE: Scottish Births & Baptisms
John McLAREN b 19 Aug 1865, parents John McLAREN and Ellen MULLAN.
Patrick McLAREN b 5 Aug 1867, parents John McLAREN and Ellen MULLIN.
Agnes McLAREN b 11 Dec 1869, parents John McLAREN and Ellen MULLEN.
Charles Mullen McLAREN, b 10 Feb 1873, parents John McLAREN and Helen MULLEN.

CENSUS 1871: At 8 Shore Street, Inverkip, Gourock, Renfrewshire
https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Ref: Inverkip 567/2, ED 1, PG 32, HS 188
Head: John McLERAN 30, Carpenter, b Kirkintilloch, Dumbartonshire
Wife: Ellen McLERAN, 26, b Greenock
Son: John McLERAN, 5,  b Greenock
Son: Patrick McLERAN, 3,  b Greenock
Dau: Agnes McLERAN, 1,  b Greenock
Boarder: John LINDSAY 24, unm,  Copper Miner, b Ireland
Boarder: Thomas TAYLOR 26, unm,  Copper Miner, b  Glasgow

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline adenshillito

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ambly-
the issue and census info is the correct family, Ellen was at times recorded as Helen. The 1871 census was their last appearance in Scottish records before they left for NZ in 1875.
The mother and father were named as you stated in the marriage record. James is referred to as a farmer, his wife Agnes is stated to be deceased. In several places John is referred to as being a shipwright or ship's carpenter. When in NZ he found work at timber yards and performing carpentry tasks. The discrepancy in his birth date is known to me, his age is given both in the marriage record and in the ship manifest, and these do not line up either. On his death cert. his age is given as 66 then in the burial record and on the grave stone as 58. One record says born in Ballymoney in Ireland while the other claims Kirkintollch, Scotland. The poorlaw records from Paisley suggest his parents and brother were Ireland-born. Just a few irregularities. His death cert. does agree his parents are James and Agnes.

Offline adenshillito

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Oh, John's address at the time of his marriage appears to have been just a few doors down the road from his future parents-in-law, the Mullans, in Patrick Street in Greenock.

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Cuz how are you.Was just thinking i need to order the poor law records see what it says .Im sure it will give us all the info we need about My James and your John Mclarens Parents.I still think the James Mclaren and Neil on the ship are our family to.I cant find a death for my James in scotland and think it was him on ship .

Marguerite.

Offline adenshillito

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 July 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi again-
So do the records numbers in the library relate to larger files? I figured the info they accompanied was the end of the line and the displayed data was all there was.

Aden  :)

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 July 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Aden.

Im on holiday next week and when i come back im going to apply for the poor records.They will tell us where abouts James and Agnes were born and when they came to scotland and their circumstances.Should have family info on it hopefully about My james and Catherine to and their children Agnes and Helen as they applied for poor relief to.Hope you are all well in Nz.Will let you know what i get back.

Marguerite.