Author Topic: Mary Farrell and John Parsons marriage look up please  (Read 848 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mary Farrell and John Parsons marriage look up please
« on: Sunday 01 July 18 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have a marriage entry for a Mary Farrell and a John Parsons in 1827 in the Diocese of Cork & Ross, County Cork, Ireland. It is sourced from a book by Albert Eugene Casey, Eleanor L. Downey-Prince, and Ursula Dietrich that is called the Index of O'Kief, Coshe Mange, Slieve Lougher and Upper Blackwater in Ireland. And there are 16 volumes!!! I'm not sure if this marriage entry is likely to be included anywhere else or whether this is it!!

I believe this to be the marriage of my 3 x great grandparents. John was in the 3rd Dragoon Guards and the regiment was in Cork in 1827 leaving for Scotland soon after where their (if I have the right people) first child was born.

I'm not sure if the volumes mentioned above are easily accessible or even easy to check but if someone was able to look up this marriage for further details I would be most grateful.

I'd love to know where they were married and if their parents, place of birth, etc are listed. In fact anything at all that will add to their story. TIA.
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Farrell and John Parsons marriage look up please
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 July 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Well there you go. Thanks Sinann :) Looks like the marriage record path isn't going to be helpful but good to see it listed :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
I think I'm right in saying they would still have married in a church and you know which diocese, it's possible the church register survives.
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/PARISHREGISTERS.pdf
Which church and access is a problem though.

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 July 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann, sorry to be slow on the uptake with this but...the diocese is Cork and Ross in County Cork but the actual parish is yet to be established? It was a COI marriage as established by the issuing of a licence bond? If by chance I were to establish the parish, are the parish records held locally or is there a central repository? And if held locally is it difficult to get access to the records for a particular reason?

Thanks for your help with this. I really struggle with researching my Irish ancestors and consequently have avoided going anywhere near them for a few years! But given I have so many I am having to bite the bullet. I've learnt a lot from this thread and appreciate links to the resources :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 July 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
https://www.johngrenham.com/blog/2016/08/22/three-cheers-for-the-weirdo-obsessives/

The whole compilation was published in 16 giant, indexed volumes over the 19 years from 1952 to 1971, with the strange title O’Kief, Coshe Mang, Slieve Lougher and the Upper Blackwater in Ireland. You can see a full list of the contents at the Rootsweb Kerry site. His parish transcripts at least are searchable on the main Mormon website, www.familysearch.org.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 July 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Cork and Ross spills over into Kerry
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/find-a-church/diocese/cork-cloyne-and-ross
It's Cork,Cloyne and Ross now.

The parish registers seem to be held in different places, the link in my first post tells you if they survive and where they are held, but as you can see there are a lot of parishes.
If you know he was in a barracks in Cork that would probably narrow it down.
FamilySearch doesn't work well on iPad from what I could manage I didn't see the marriage.

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 July 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks hallmark and Sinann. I've got some work ahead of me! You know, I never thought of where the barracks were which makes such good sense!! :)