Author Topic: German Marriage Record help  (Read 834 times)

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German Marriage Record help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 July 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Peonie is also right in saying that a Statthalter was person who worked as a foreman for a local squire. 

It all boils down to the fact that a Statthalter was a representative for a higher authority

Offline Angel-Rae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 July 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you davecapps! I wonder if it could be my guy? It would be cool if it was. The time frame and area are correct. Anna was born in 1878 in Groß-Dratow so her father could have been there doing that job.
I’m very curious about both of these strands of the family tree. I don’t know much about my German ancestry, the family was always very focused on being Dutch. I have the Dutch line back to the 1770’s which goes back through Anna Georgine and Ernst Richard’s daughter’s (my dear great-grandmother’s) husband. He was Dutch and they were more interested in the Dutch side, because that was their family name.
Ernst and Anna relocated to Netherlands at the turn of the last century. Do any of you know if there was a common reason for migrating from Germany to the Netherlands? I imagine they either knew the language or had to learn it. Or could Schwer(d)tfeger and Bürger be Dutch names? They sound German to me.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 July 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
1) Schwerdtfeger and Bürger are German names.

2) on Anna´s marriage certificate her father is stated as Heinrich. On her confirmation certificate he is stated as Friedrich. So he has 2 names, possibly 3, quite common those days.

3) In both certificates his profession is Statthalter. Groß Dratow has always been a rural, aricultural based region so i think he was a charge hand or foreman on an agricultural estate,

4) look at this site, http://www.emecklenburg.de/ enter Statthalter in the field „schnellsuche“ and hit „go“ scroll down the page and you will see
„Oberster Tagelöhner auf einem Gut“  something like „senior day labourer on an estate“

5) this site is also available in English, http://www.emecklenburg.de/Mecklenburg/en/index.htm

Dave

Offline Angel-Rae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 July 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help! This is all great information.
I appreciate the German and Dutch custom of giving children three names. I have found it easier to find them, even with the fact that they were sometimes known as the second name.
The German records are also very detailed and were obviously arranged in a way to identify the people in them easily. Adding the parents names to the marriage certificates and so often including the maiden name of the mother is very useful. These records were made with the future in mind perhaps.
Thank you again everyone I will now attempt to give this topic the green tick.