Author Topic: de Bruyn coat of arms  (Read 1377 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
de Bruyn coat of arms
« on: Sunday 01 July 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

One of my ancestors is described in the book Leicestershire Pedigrees and Royal Descents (1887) as 'a lineal descendant of Sir Guy de Bruyn, a Norman knight'. Is there a coat of arms for Guy? As a knight, I presume there must be something, but I can't even find a biography of him! Any information on him or a coat of arms/crest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: de Bruyn coat of arms
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Interesting your say de Bryun Normandy, a quick google suggests the name was first found in Brandenburg.

Could the surname alternate to DeBryan as in Pembroke Shire, Wales too? Could be from de Brionne (illegitimate offspring of Richard I of Normandy) in Normandy?

There is Bruyn in Fairbairns Book of Crests? https://archive.org/details/FairbairnsBookOfCrestsV1

De Brune and De Bruyn https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=CKnkKWLnXb0C&pg=PA163&dq=de+Bruyn,+norman+knight&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ45Cp3v3bAhUMmpQKHc-sDZ0Q6AEINzAD#v=onepage&q=de%20Bruyn%2C%20norman%20knight&f=false

Your other post
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=795703.0

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 July 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of that! Sorry, but I know nothing of Guy other than that note in the book. Saying Norman I assumed it would be 1066, but then again he could just be part of the ethnically Norman ruling class in England. I'll look through all you've given me.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
It is unlikely that your Norman Knight even had a coat-of-arms?

For example, the Bayeux Tapestry, illustrating the Norman invasion of England in 1066, and probably commissioned about 1077, when the cathedral of Bayeux was rebuilt, depicts a number of shields of various shapes and designs, many of which are plain, while others are decorated with dragons, crosses, or other typically heraldic figures. Yet no individual is depicted twice bearing the same arms, nor are any of the descendants of the various persons depicted known to have borne devices resembling those in the tapestry.

English Heraldry really dates from the late 12th Century (although nobody is certain).
One of the earliest known examples is on the tomb of Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou, who died in 1151.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 July 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
You're right, it's perfectly possible. I don't even know when Guy lived; I presumed that as a knight he might have been granted an arms. If as you say he came over in 1066, he may well not have one, but if he was born later than that then it's possible. I really don't know!