Author Topic: Problems with Family Search.  (Read 2391 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Family Search.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 July 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks,
 Now I got Chrome but not set as default, added FS as a bookmark, that will do for me.
I guess other sites I may have issues with I can just add then to bookmarks as well. .

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 July 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
I think it's because the site no longer supports Internet Explorer. There's been a warning message that features may not work for some time. A few days ago I found that search didn't work for me any more and I've had to use Google Chrome instead ( other browsers are available  ).

Yes I had the same issue with Familysearch after an obvious recent "upgrade" to the site, no box to put in a place name in the catalogue so have had to revert to using Microsoft Edge (can't stand Chrome its so resource hungry and don't like Firefox that much).  That said, Paypal announced recently that you had to stop using IE to access the site as of the end of June and my AV software's extra secure browser for banking doesn't work in Edge so have had to change my default browser to Firefox (which it does work in) so that I can use the secure browser for Paypal and my bank (which did work in IE still).  I don't and will not use Chrome under any circumstances these days, been uninstalled.  I found it hammered the performance on a fairly high spec laptop a few years ago.  None of the other browsers were quite so bad.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 08:26 BST (UK) »
My PayPal is still able to log in with IE today.

I`ve only installed Chrome to use on Family Search so far, so which of the others would you say were better.  Does Chrome slow the PC down even when not being used ?  I have a desktop PC.
I`m not very good with technical stuff  ;)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Interesting about IE and Paypal, I got sent an email the other week saying I had to change browsers by the 30 June as Paypal would stop functioning correctly after that time with IE.  I had to change my default browser to Firefox to get Eset's Banking Application (which I use to access Paypal for additional security protection) to work with Firefox rather than IE but that caused issues when I wanted to view some saved mht files even though they were set to open in IE.  Had to change default browser back to IE to get them to load correctly.  Looks like I shall be switching this on and off to access all I want but I suppose its likely that some things in Paypal won't work correctly if used in IE.  I've noticed that more and more on Familysearch has stopped working with IE over the months so perhaps best to stick to a "supported" browser just in case for both.

No Chrome didn't slow down the PC when not in use but it was so painfully slow to use when I did use it to access the web that I stopped using it.  Being somewhat suspicious, I uninstalled it as don't trust Google particularly, albeit that I use the web search regularly but with various security settings enabled. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
I checked back and have never had an email, but  there was a notification on the site , I did the "check your browser" and IE was OK.