Author Topic: Warner of Eversden and others  (Read 1451 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Warner of Eversden and others
« on: Sunday 01 July 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm searching primarily for burials, but if anyone could find a marriage between Thomas Dove and Margaret Warner in Cambridgeshire or Northamptonshire in the 16th century I would be greatly appreciative.

I'm looking for:

Oliver Warner of Eversden, Cambridgeshire. Still alive in 1599. Also his wife Margaret (formerly Moore).
Leonard Moore of Sandon, Hertfordshire. Probably alive in the 16th century.

Any information on the two (i.e. births, marriages, deaths) would be great, but I already have biographical information for them both.

Thanks!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Warner of Eversden and others
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
I see on one of the online trees that a Leonard Moore of Sandon married an Ann Hanchett-might be worth checking out if this is correct or you may already have this.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think I read it in a book.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ScoobySn4x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 June 21 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hope this helps:
Margaret Warner was baptised 16 March 1570/71 at Great Eversden as "Margaret Warriner". Although the transcription does not state Oliver as the father, the other siblings baptised follow the same pattern as the visitation pedigree, and her eldest brother (Thomas) who was baptised on 23 Jan 1564/5 does have Oliver stated as the father. I am pretty certain that this is her baptism. (Source: Cambridgeshire Family History Society Transcriptions)
She was buried at Peterborough Cathedral on the 3rd Feb 1625/6 with quite a detailed account. The image can be found on deceasedonline if you are interested, together with her husband Thomas and her son, also Thomas.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 June 21 10:58 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks! I’ll note all that down now.

Offline ScoobySn4x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 June 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
No problem.

Just a word of caution - Thomas Dove began baptising his nine children in early 1584 at Saffron Walden, Essex whilst he was vicar there, and before he became Bishop of Peterborough. Im assuming he married shortly before then, although I cannot find a corresponding marriage either at Saffron Walden (where he was resident) or at Framlingham (where he was also appointed rector in 1584). If this marriage date is correct and Margaret was baptised shortly after her birth (which I do not dispute given the 2 year-ish gap between her and her early siblings), this would have made her a very young bride. Whilst not unlawful in Tudor period England for a girl to marry at 13, it would have been highly unusual. So far that marriage is proving elusive other than from second hand sources, none of which give a date or location.
By the way, I have posted the images of the baptisms and burials together with a transcription of Thomas's will on my Ancestry tree (funkymonkeymagic) where its publicly available.