Author Topic: Alternative Street Names  (Read 920 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Alternative Street Names
« on: Sunday 01 July 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was born in a road called Victoria Terrace which was demolished and is now Victoria Drive.

I recently found a photo online of both the front of the houses and one of the rear, apparently it was also known as Rabbit Pie Row due to the fact that a lot were eaten !!!

The thing is that my grandmother always sais she came frm another village, I assume because she lived there for most of her young life moving only because they all lived in a tied cottage which the landowner said was overcrowded.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Street Names
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 July 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
A terrace (long since demolished) in Chorley, Lancashire, close to the railway, had a "local" name derived from the occupiers' need to carry chamber pots to the privy at the end of the row.

"Shitpot Row".  ;D

I'm lost as to the derivation of the official name of a Bolton street where one of my ancestors owned houses. "Salt Pie Row".
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 July 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
Billyf, I wasn't sure if you are asking for help in finding the village. I wondered if this link might help.

http://bartononhumberatwar.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-survivors.html

Martin

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 July 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both for your replies.

It`s kind of you Martin but I know Barton pretty well, although I now live in Wales ! From there the family went to Appleby, where they all lived in a 2  ( I think ) bedroom house,my grandmother lived there upto and after her marriage and the birth of her first child. When they were asked to leave one of her brothers bought a house and they ( gt.gradnparents, grandparents +at least 3 of my grandmother`s brothers ) all moved there . Later on, my gt.gt.grandfather also moved in, but by then my grandparents had their own house.

Now going to have to look at my tree as I`ve just remembered this road had an alternative name.

I hada good laugh at " Shitpot " row, Andrew. I wonder how the residents felt about the name.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 July 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
A terrace (long since demolished) in Chorley, Lancashire, close to the railway, had a "local" name derived from the occupiers' need to carry chamber pots to the privy at the end of the row.

"Shitpot Row".  ;D

I'm lost as to the derivation of the official name of a Bolton street where one of my ancestors owned houses. "Salt Pie Row".
A post just came up on my FB regarding Salt Pie Lane in Garstang, apparently named after a lady who once lived there and made and sold salt mutton pies
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 July 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
To reach our road in Aberdeen you had to pass the end of Fish Street. When giving directions to visitors, my father always referred to it as Salmon Avenue.